Convention Passes

  • AndyN
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1 10:03 AM
      Hi all,
      At the first meeting after the enforced break the subject of this years
      passes came up, thanks Rog for your kind offer of the spoke lights. Here are
      my ideas, comments?

      wine corks
      tampons (?)
      beer bottle tops
      playing cards
      happy family cards
      zip ties
      dominoes
      surgical gloves
      wooden pegs (the type kids make wooden dolls out of)

      I have no problem drilling holes/hole punching into any of the above.

      Or shall we take Rog up on his kind offer this year and keep this list in
      mind for next year.

      Andy

      ---
    • Claire *
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 2 1:11 AM
        I don't mind.
        I am happy to do reg desk and flog beer.

        >From: "AndyN" <andy@...>
        >To: "DCJ" <durhamcityjugglers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [durhamcityjugglers] Convention Passes
        >Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:03:13 +0100
        >
        >Hi all,
        >At the first meeting after the enforced break the subject of this years
        >passes came up, thanks Rog for your kind offer of the spoke lights. Here
        >are
        >my ideas, comments?
        >
        >wine corks
        >tampons (?)
        >beer bottle tops
        >playing cards
        >happy family cards
        >zip ties
        >dominoes
        >surgical gloves
        >wooden pegs (the type kids make wooden dolls out of)
        >
        >I have no problem drilling holes/hole punching into any of the above.
        >
        >Or shall we take Rog up on his kind offer this year and keep this list in
        >mind for next year.
        >
        >Andy
        >

        >---

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
      • Roger Davies
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 2 1:24 AM
          Hi All,

          I have had a quick check of the stock of spoke lights.... Either I am
          missing a box or a lot disappeared at BUC when I was not looking. I have
          less than a 100 in the box I found. Need to wait until Miark gets back to
          check if there is another box of them.

          Roger
          __________________________

          The UK's Unicycle Source
          http://www.unicycle.uk.com
          __________________________
          > At the first meeting after the enforced break the subject of this years
          > passes came up, thanks Rog for your kind offer of the spoke lights. Here
          are
          > my ideas, comments?
          >
          > wine corks
          > tampons (?)
          > beer bottle tops
          > playing cards
          > happy family cards
          > zip ties
          > dominoes
          > surgical gloves
          > wooden pegs (the type kids make wooden dolls out of)
          >
          > I have no problem drilling holes/hole punching into any of the above.
          >
          > Or shall we take Rog up on his kind offer this year and keep this list in
          > mind for next year.
          >
          > Andy
          >

          > ---
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Paul Gibbs
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2 1:26 AM
            Oooh, does that mean I can get in for free, I already have one :-)

            A spoke light on the obligatory piece of pink string sounds good to me.

            Paul.<><

          • John.Wolstenholme@ncl.ac.uk
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2 1:49 AM
              Andy

              I like Happy Families cards. Gives reasons for people to speak to
              each other. I can get borrow a laminator if needed - DCJ would have
              to buy the laminator pouches.

              I've also been thinking about the bar(s). It is not realistic to do what
              we did last year, which is to deliver beer to the Community Centre
              several days before, let it settle and serve it. We can't get it to the
              school and anything left doesn't keep well. There are essentially
              three options. Bear in mind that we had a bit left over from 2x72
              pint casks last year, and Duncan and Pol won't be there so that's 2
              buckets less we need. We also need John the Bees to 'help us get
              through it', if he's not already been grounded for this year!

              1. Durham brewery might be willing to sell us racked beer. This
              means that they let it settle at the brewery and run off off the clear
              beer into a fresh cask first thing Sat morning, which I would have to
              pick it up. They are not 100% happy about doing racked beer.
              Racked beer means that we can set up a cask at the school hall
              and bring anything unused back to the Community Centre. If we
              have 2x72 pints, we can keep one at the Community centre as
              well. Would probably work out at about £1.50 a pint as Durham
              Brewery are not cheap.

              2. We could do the same with Big Lamp Brewery. They are happy
              to do this - I have used them before at our barbies - and it would
              work out a bit cheaper than Durham Brewery. They also do smaller
              containers designed for the take-away market, which I can sort out.
              Again, I would have to pick it up Sat morning and it is in Newburn
              (Tyne valley - just outside Newcastle), so it is further to go and
              return empties.

              3. I can get a load of bottles and cans. I can get these cheap at a
              discount cash and carry I know. This is mostly near end of shelf life
              stuff. The current range includes Marstons Pedigree, Green King
              Abbot Ale, Strongbow cider, Guiness, Heineken (?spelling) lager
              and others. I would have to buy packs of 12 or 24 which works out
              between 60p and 90p for a 500ml bottle/can to buy in. I could get a
              range and we could set up an "Everything's a £ bar". This gives us
              maximum flexibility and we could just get rid of any remainder
              among ourselves at cost price. It would also be dead easy to
              organise, as I can get it all in advance and store at Fram, but it
              doesn't have the 'romance' of being a real ale bar.

              Any thoughts out there? I am working in Birmingham next
              Tuesday, so I won't be at the club, but I should be back in time for
              the Tap later on.

              Beery wishes

              Dr John

              On 1 Sep 2004, at 18:03, AndyN wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > At the first meeting after the enforced break the subject of this years
              > passes came up, thanks Rog for your kind offer of the spoke lights. Here are
              > my ideas, comments?
              >
              > wine corks
              > tampons (?)
              > beer bottle tops
              > playing cards
              > happy family cards
              > zip ties
              > dominoes
              > surgical gloves
              > wooden pegs (the type kids make wooden dolls out of)
              >
              > I have no problem drilling holes/hole punching into any of the above.
              >
              > Or shall we take Rog up on his kind offer this year and keep this list in
              > mind for next year.
              >
              > Andy
              >

              > ---
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Dr John Wolstenholme
              Cytogenetics Laboratory
              Institute of Human Genetics
              Central Parkway
              Newcastle upon Tyne
              NE1 3BZ

              tel. 0191 241 8706
              fax. 0191 241 8713
            • Claire *
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2 2:02 AM
                I like the idea of a pass that encourages people to talk to each other.

                real ale romance sounds good to me, happy to leave the "technical" decision
                of how this is acheived to Dr J in his wisdom.

                Does anyone know why I don't get all postings to this group come though to
                my hotmail account? I only get some of them. suggestions on a postcard!

              • mike_j_armstrong
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2 2:53 AM
                  > On 1 Sep 2004, at 18:03, AndyN wrote:
                  > > wine corks
                  > > tampons (?)
                  > > beer bottle tops
                  > > playing cards

                  Playing cards were done at the first Manchester

                  > > happy family cards
                  > > zip ties
                  > > dominoes
                  > > surgical gloves
                  > > wooden pegs (the type kids make wooden dolls out of)
                  > >
                  > > Or shall we take Rog up on his kind offer this year and keep this
                  > > list in mind for next year.

                  Thanks for the offer Rog, but I think duplicating passes is a bad
                  idea - lots of us collect passes and it also means that people can
                  sneak in.

                  Dr John said:John.Wolstenholme@n... wrote:
                  > I like Happy Families cards. Gives reasons for people to speak to
                  > each other. I can get borrow a laminator if needed - DCJ would have
                  > to buy the laminator pouches.

                  Me too - they're cheap, a bit quirky and easy to hole-punch and stick
                  on a string. I don't even think they need laminating - they're tough
                  enough to last a day round someone's neck

                  > 3. I can get a load of bottles and cans. I can get these cheap at a
                  > discount cash and carry I know. This is mostly near end of shelf
                  > life stuff.

                  This seems to be the best option to me - not quite as nice as real
                  beer (which would be a bit spoilt anyway by being served in plastic)
                  but easier to manage, more varied for the punters and less risk of
                  having unsold stock.

                  Cheers
                  -Mike
                  www.trickswithhats.org
                • duncan.castling@durham.gov.uk
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 2 3:39 AM
                    Hi,

                    How about some type of sweet with a hole in (polo's?)
                    Then you can eat them after the event. Paint the buggers to stop the
                    fiddlers.

                    I'm sure there's other 'holy' sweeties that'd be better, maybe not curly
                    wurly's though!

                    (ex pat) Drunc
                  • Claire *
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2 3:53 AM
                      Polo's have been done before elsewhere.
                      there are those fizzy jelly dummies but they would shed "fizz powder" all
                      over people's clothes
                      what about cheapy hairbands with cheesy flower on or something - can wear in
                      hair or round wrist/ankle?
                      Or you could jsut send me and Miark into the poundshops and take your
                      chance!

                      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
                    • cathy.mallam@durham.gov.uk
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2 3:55 AM

                        Hi,

                        I think Liverpool did polos a few years ago.  Not sure that painting them then eating them is such a good idea!!

                        I reckon the happy families cards are a winner.  Hours of entertainment guaranteed!

                        Cathy
                      • Duncan Hoyle
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2 4:06 AM
                          Happy families cards gets my vote. If we come up with some team or
                          partner games we could restrict it to people from the same family.
                        • duncan.castling@durham.gov.uk
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 2 6:18 AM
                            Hmmm, i once went to a party wer they played this great game 'mummy fish
                            /daddy bear' Oeeer---ehhhh, steady on, wots that then?

                            Well, everyone had a card with a family member on it. Once the game started
                            the first 'whole family' to sit one infront/ontop of the other won.

                            Loads of people running around shouting 'mummy fish, baby fish, daddy bear,
                            etc Ha , Very loud and silly, should suit jugglers!
                            Better still with lots of packs of the cards, should make it even more
                            confusing - Get yer hands off that baby fish, it's ours,,,,,,,

                            My vote - Happy families.

                            I think i need to lie down now and take my tablets.............

                            Drunc.
                          • AndyN
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2 9:30 AM
                              Multiple replies--

                              Looks like happy family cards to me. Liverpool did the Polo mints a few
                              years back. Mine just broke in half when I was showing Karen what has gone
                              before as passes. By the way it was her idea of tampons! Hair bands were
                              Mostyn 2/3 years ago.

                              I also like the third option of Dr John's, with an everything for a pound
                              bar, and selling the surplus to our selves or if we make another profit just
                              split it on the day or night!

                              Claire you may only get messages to your registered account with Yahoo. You
                              can also look at messages online but you need a Yahoo identity to log in.

                              Paul you only get in for 'free' when you've paid like everyone else.;-)

                              BAE Systems would like to 'donate' any stationary for the convention, along
                              with unlimited photocopying. At no cost to the club. Thank you BAE Systems.

                              Druncan was that a party or a fantasy? ;-) By the way are you out flying
                              this weekend? Send me text to save the flaming wars ;-)

                              Did we decide to do a tee shirt this year?

                              Andy

                              ---
                            • Les
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 2 11:15 AM

                                Happy family cards sounds fine to us. We (DCJ) already have a laminator, Mini had it last time I knew  its whereabouts. It was used to laminate the signs giving directions.

                                We are interested in when flying is to be done and would like information to continue to appear here .

                                Dyl (&Les)

[...]

                                Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                                ---

                              • John.Wolstenholme@ncl.ac.uk
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 3 8:42 AM
                                  Hi!

                                  Looks like the vote is for Dr John's 'Everything's a £ Bar' at the
                                  convention. Will go ahead on this basis unless I hear otherwise
                                  within the next few days (or by Tuesday in the Tap). It is the
                                  easiest option for me and gives a better variety of drinks. I will go
                                  for a mix of beer, lager, cider and some red/white wine, maybe a
                                  few cans of the dark stuff. In practice, if the bar proves overpopular
                                  and we run out of specific items/everything, Bells supermarket over
                                  the road is open 'til 11, so people are not going to go thirsty. Any
                                  (sensible) requests for other drinks? Bear in mind that if there is
                                  any of it left you may well be expected to buy it! What about soft
                                  drinks for kids/drivers/poofs/wimps???

                                  Actually, it doesn't matter about drinks for poofs, as I think I will
                                  just refuse to serve anyone who even looks like he might be one.
                                  [Dr John rides roughshod over political correctness and doesn't
                                  care]

                                  Claire and Kathy - as we only had 2 applications for the Bar Wench
                                  posts, you have the jobs.

                                  Dr John

                                  PS only joking about not serving poofs - I reckon we shouldn't let
                                  them in at all.