Durham Show stuff..

  • ewano
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
      So,

      I'm into final prep for the show, and trying to get everything sorted.

      The show line up is looking like about 6-11 acts depending on final
      confirmations but is at this stage somewhat less confirmed than I'd
      like.

      I have a few roles that need filling, and some people who I have in
      mind (due to them saying yes or them being suggested):

      Stage management/hands: Mike Armstrong and Myself.
      Lights operator: Pat (because you have been recomended to me).
      Suggestions if Pat can't do it.
      Sound: Mini has already confirmed he is bringing his PA setup and will do this.

      There is also the possibility of a free standing aerial rig being in
      the hall on the floor - assuming I can get it arranged in time. I
      might need people to help with taking it down during a compère fill.

      Dr John: Have you stocked the bar yet? I will probably have to talk to
      you about drinks for the performers at some point, but just wanted to
      check that you have "a good range" of drinks both alcoholic and non
      alcoholic available?

      I have also been thinking about the Pizza order and wondering if it
      might be possible to cook up a massive batch of pasta and heat up some
      sauces for the post show performers meal. It would be quicker and
      probably easier than the pizza run, and might save a few pennies form
      the budget. I'm not sure if this is a viable option at the moment, but
      if people can have a dig about for a double ring gas camp stove and a
      catering size pot for pasta cooking then I have some options.

      I can't remember but is there a set of hobs available in the sports
      hall kitchen, but I'll try to remember to check. If so then pasta
      cooking and sauce reheating might be easier in there. Offers of chef
      for pasta boiling and sauce reheating would be great.

      I'm also possibly in need of crash space on Friday night for
      performers. I'm going to try to manage as many as I can at my Dad's
      place, but I don't know how many there will be and offers of
      alternatives would be great for me to fall back on.

      I was also thinking of heading to the school next week (Wednesday) to
      have a final check of stage heights and lighting set up. I was going
      to call in to the pub and give them the heads up about the convention.
      Has this been done already?

      Cheers,
      Ewan - who hopefully will be at the club this week with a more firmed
      up show line up..
    • John Wolstenholme
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
        Hi Ewan

        The bar is in hand. My garage looks like an off-licence. If we charge
        £1.20 for drinks, we should make a useful profit. I will sort out enough
        extra drinks, to set up a performer's 'bar', on a similar scale to
        previous years. I have one room, with a double bed, free for the Friday
        night, so can do Dinner, Bed and Breakfast with transport for one/two. Any
        occupant(s) will probably have to go to the Tap and Spile, as well.

        I also have a double gas camp stove and one quite big pan.

        I will be in Cambridge on Tuesday evening, so email me with anything I
        need to know.

        Dr John

      • cathy.mallam@talktalk.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
          Message
          Hi,

          Thanks for sorting out the show Ewan!

          I don't think Pat is coming up for the convention because he's got something else on that weekend so you'll need to find another lights bod.

          As far as I know no-one has spoken to the pubs in Wolsingham to warn them that we are coming.

          On a more general convention theme:
          We could do with a few volunteers from the club to help out with other things as well as possibly dismantling your aerial rig.  Working on the desk, setting up the hall for the show and clearing it away and general tidying up spring to mind for starters!  Hint hint!  ;-)

          Could someone knock up some large and very obvious signs to put on the sports hall building saying that it is a wheel-free zone?  We really don't want a repeat of last year's floor trashing incident!

          Miark - are you likely to be at the club before the convention?  It would be handy to have the passes before the day because then we can get some punched and ready to string.

          Cheers,

          Cath

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
            Hi Guys,

            All sounds good.

            I have talked to the Stockton lot and they say could we have the same as
            they had last year in the Programme. The general thought was that not
            many would be interested in doing Muni on Sunday... but Joe Baxter said,
            he will organise it. So he will leave at 9:30am on Sunday for Hamsterly.

            On lighting etc. I have nudged Paul Tasker to ask if John would be free
            for helping us. He does normally work weekends at the Empire in M'bro,
            but is checking his timetable. He will get back this week to say if he
            can help.

            I will produce the No Wheel signs. I have the designs somewhere.

            Roger

            On 03/10/2010 18:10, cathy.mallam@... wrote:

            > Hi,
            > Thanks for sorting out the show Ewan!
            > I don't think Pat is coming up for the convention because he's got
            > something else on that weekend so you'll need to find another lights bod.
            > As far as I know no-one has spoken to the pubs in Wolsingham to warn
            > them that we are coming.
            > On a more general convention theme:
            > We could do with a few volunteers from the club to help out with other
            > things as well as possibly dismantling your aerial rig. Working on the
            > desk, setting up the hall for the show and clearing it away and general
            > tidying up spring to mind for starters! Hint hint! ;-)
            > Could someone knock up some large and very obvious signs to put on the
            > sports hall building saying that it is a wheel-free zone? We really
            > don't want a repeat of last year's floor trashing incident!
            > Miark - are you likely to be at the club before the convention? It would
            > be handy to have the passes before the day because then we can get some
            > punched and ready to string.
            > Cheers,
            > Cath

          • Mike Bridge
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
              I'm up for doing some reception duties as long as i can wear my "special" glasses ( as used in there's been a murder)
              Mike
            • Mike Bridge
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
                ps
                thanks Ewan for all the work that you have (again) put into organising the show. Any chance of a sneaky peek at who's "potentially" in it this year?
                mike

              • cathy.mallam@talktalk.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 3, 2010
                  Message
                  Yes I think your "special" glasses will give you the gravitas required to work on the reception desk!  You can speak in a posh accent if you like, just to complete the picture.  Well volunteered!

                  Cath

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 2010
                    One is willing to assist where one is able on the reception desk (Gigs set to ON)

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2010
                      Please put me down for a menial task on the Saturday.

                      By then my exam will be done and I can participate again!

                      JohnTheBees

                    • cathy.mallam@talktalk.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2010
                        Thanks John. Menial tasks make the world go round!

                        Good luck with your exam!

                        Cath

                        Please put me down for a menial task on the Saturday.

                        By then my exam will be done and I can participate again!

                        JohnTheBees

                        One is willing to assist where one is able on the reception desk (Gigs set
                        to ON)

                        On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM, <cathy.mallam@...> wrote:

                        > Yes I think your "special" glasses will give you the gravitas required
                        > to work on the reception desk! You can speak in a posh accent if you
                        > like, just to complete the picture. Well volunteered!
                        >
                        > Cath

                        06:34:00
                      • Mike Bridge
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 4, 2010
                          Ooh is there a competition to see how menial we can make it?
                          Good luck John on the exam
                          mike

                          On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:23 PM, John Childs <mail@...> wrote:
                          Please put me down for a menial task on the Saturday.

                          By then my exam will be done and I can participate again!

                          JohnTheBees

                          One is willing to assist where one is able on the reception desk (Gigs set
                          to ON)

                          On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:18 PM, <cathy.mallam@...> wrote:

                          > Yes I think your "special" glasses will give you the gravitas required to
                          > work on the reception desk!  You can speak in a posh accent if you like,
                          > just to complete the picture.  Well volunteered!
                          >
                          > Cath

                          <*> Your email settings:
                             Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                             (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                             durhamcityjugglers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                             durhamcityjugglers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • ewano
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 13, 2010
                            Hi John,

                            Been busy as hell with act herding..

                            If you can make sure you bring your gas stove and the pan that would be great. I'm going to cook up two sauces at my Dads on Friday and then a big pot of pasta at the event.

                            Booze wise I'll sort it with you on the day.

                          • John Wolstenholme
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 14, 2010
                              Hi Ewan

                              Will sort out stove and pan. You didn't get back to me on anybody needing
                              a bed, so I presume none required. I will now have the PA system in my van
                              as well as all the booze, so unless you have an act involving dwarves,
                              there won't be much room for transport anyway.

                              John

                            • Mini Mansell
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 14, 2010
                                is that PA for the Show or for the Gym John?

                                just so i know what i need to bring.

                                MIni

                              • John Wolstenholme
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 14, 2010
                                  Hi Mini

                                  Its for the big juggling hall. We also have the small system from the club
                                  for the unicycle hall.

                                  John

                                • John Childs
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 15, 2010
                                    Hi All,

                                    I spoke to Cathy on tuesday - and she said help might be needed setting
                                    out the stage (if I understood correctly).

                                    I am in post exam exhaustion with a cold so was not going to
                                    come up too early. Does anybody know what time this might happen? - I
                                    am still happy to help.

                                    JohnTheBee
                                  • ewano

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 20, 2011
                                        Hi Mini

                                        Have you got a date for this yet?? Both my sons + partners + granddaughter
                                        want to come this year!!!! Youngest son works on the oilrigs, and wants to
                                        make sure he is on shore.

                                        Dr John