Ladybank Mill

  • rwatson1@onetel.net.uk
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 12:04 PM
      My grandfather James Mortimer was a blacksmith operative at this mill
      in the 1870s. Can anyone tell me who owned it and where it was
      situated, please ?
      Isabel Watson
    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3 2:48 AM
        For R. Watson,

        I hold a copy of Jute and Flax Mills in Dundee and this is what it shows,

        The owners were James Taws; Soutar & Nicholl; Anderson & Glass; demolished.

        It was situated in Mid Street, Dundee. Started in early 1830's. Unchanged
        1846-71. In 1864, with 12 power looms and 880 spindles, it was the smallest
        mill in Dundee.

        David Anderson #1960
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3 2:58 PM
          At 07:04 PM 02/05/2001 +0000, Isabel Watson wrote:
          >My grandfather James Mortimer was a blacksmith operative at this mill
          >in the 1870s. Can anyone tell me who owned it and where it was
          >situated, please ?

          Isabel,

          There was a Ladybank Works (Machinery), and also a LadybankMill
          (Hemp & Jute Spinning).
          They both were just to the south of Dudhope St, which ran E -W
          between Constitution Road, and the lower bit of the Hilltown, almost
          where it crosses Victoria Road, and the old Wellgate began.

          Mid Street runs E NE- from the "Conchie" just below Dudhope
          Terrace, and it joins up with Dudhope St, just short of it's junction with
          the Hawkhill. The Works is on this sharp pointed junction.
          The Mill is actually in Mid St just before this pointed junction.

          Lots of smallish Mills and works on the S side of Dudhope St.
          This whole area was called Chapelshade. There were some lovely villas
          on the N side of Dudhope St, actually in the W bit called Dudhope Place.
          I used to walk up there every Thursday from the "High" for tea with my
          Aunt & Uncle. Across Bell St, behind the school, up Irelands Lane,
          and then Paradise Road, into the sunshine of Dudhope Place.
          Believe it or not , that was in the '30s!!

          Jimmie