Question about an occupation

  • William Lonie
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2001
      My Grand-father was a "jute barrowman". He stopped
      working about 1930. I presume that he pushed barrows
      of jute around a mill. Does anyone have any better
      explanation?
      Regards
      Bill

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • banjo046@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2001
        He might have been a Stower. These people worked on the docks unloading
        jute for distribution to the mills throughout the city. The word Stower
        pronounced in Dundee ( Stouer) They used to meet at the bottom of the
        Wellgate and were assinged to their ships by a man named Charlie Kinear.
        When he retired the position was taken over by his son Alfie. I beleive
        he still lives in Dundee. His address is Law Rd. You might be able to
        contact him and find out more about your father. Good luck. Dave Perks