Re: Viruses

  • Doon The Toon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2001
      Hi Jimmie. You said:-

      >By chance, only because it was original equipment in my Compaq,
      >I am a McAfee user. Norton provide a superb, but differently flavoured
      >service, that does not require one to be on line for Scans.

      I used Symantec's anti virus program (SAM) for the same reason - it came
      with my machine.
      Unfortunately it was relaunched as Norton Anti Virus, and after a few
      months, they stopped issuing virus updates for SAM, which annoyed me no
      end.

      Luckily enough, I got the full version of VIREX 6 from a magazine cover
      CD-ROM and have found that does the job as well as SAM did - and new
      virus updates are issued monthly. That does me as I have a Mac and the
      virus writers tend to concentrate their efforts on wintelboxes, because,
      apparently, it's easier to write viruses for Windows machines than it is
      to write them for Macs.

      I've only ever had one infection and that was before I had a modem. The
      virus came off a Magazine CD-ROM! SAM detected it, but couldn't eradicate
      it. It was a FREEWARE anti virus program that got rid of it! And it was a
      five year old virus!

      Anyway, apologies for this having nothing at all to do with Dundee
      History.

      Doon.

      * For Dundonians + www.appleonline.net/doonthetoon + everywhere!*