Re: [dundee-history] Re: Viruses

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2001
      At 09:22 PM 22/04/2001 +0100, Doon the Toon wrote:
      >Hi Jimmie. You said:-
      >
      > > Virus's can live comfortably in
      > >the body of messages as well as in it's attachments.
      >
      >If the list is set to "Plain Text Only", so that attachments are stripped
      >off on their way through Yahoo's server, there is no way that genuine
      >viruses can be propagated. A virus cannot exist within a straight forward
      >text email.
      Hello there, Doon the Toon,

      Your helpful comments are much appreciated, and well understood.
      You will know that our Group Setting does not permit attachments,
      for the very reason you mentioned, and also ensures that we only see
      plain text messages. The non-text stripping seems to go on all the
      time. I hope it never offends our ladies!!

      By chance, only because it was original equipment in my Compaq,
      I am a McAfee user. Norton provide a superb, but differently flavoured
      service, that does not require one to be on line for Scans.
      Every morning I get a message at my appointed hour of 7am, regarding
      any updates for the day , typically I have to download maybe three a week.
      They provide not only protection, but stacks of info, and a good Glossary.

      I have had two incidents recently where McAfee have warned me,
      but have been unable to clean or delete the file. The virus had found it's way
      into the "_restore" file kept by Windows ME, which is write protected.
      Jointly we have been unable to be sure how the virus reached there, and what
      it's point of entry was. It took a Tech a bit of time to delve into DOS to
      clean
      it out. Hence my caution about entry via messages themselves , as distinct
      from clear cut attachments.

      Just to add a Dundee touch to this saga - and to say that I have been
      propositioned by Snow White and her Seven Dwarfs - innumerably.
      I do have an original celluloid image of "Dopey" on my wall, bought by my
      Father around the postwar 1940s from - Robertson & Bruce Ltd,
      Fine Art Dealers,Panmure Salon, 90 Commercial Street.
      It is attributed to "Walt Disney and his Collaborators".

      Quite a Collectors piece by now i would think!

      Cheers

      Jim Robertson
    • Doon The Toon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2001
        Hi Jimmie. You said:-

        >By chance, only because it was original equipment in my Compaq,
        >I am a McAfee user. Norton provide a superb, but differently flavoured
        >service, that does not require one to be on line for Scans.

        I used Symantec's anti virus program (SAM) for the same reason - it came
        with my machine.
        Unfortunately it was relaunched as Norton Anti Virus, and after a few
        months, they stopped issuing virus updates for SAM, which annoyed me no
        end.

        Luckily enough, I got the full version of VIREX 6 from a magazine cover
        CD-ROM and have found that does the job as well as SAM did - and new
        virus updates are issued monthly. That does me as I have a Mac and the
        virus writers tend to concentrate their efforts on wintelboxes, because,
        apparently, it's easier to write viruses for Windows machines than it is
        to write them for Macs.

        I've only ever had one infection and that was before I had a modem. The
        virus came off a Magazine CD-ROM! SAM detected it, but couldn't eradicate
        it. It was a FREEWARE anti virus program that got rid of it! And it was a
        five year old virus!

        Anyway, apologies for this having nothing at all to do with Dundee
        History.

        Doon.

        * For Dundonians + www.appleonline.net/doonthetoon + everywhere!*