Re: J&E Shepard

  • Grant Buttars
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2001
      What period do you remember them being around?

      Grant Buttars

      --- In dundee-history@y..., banjo046@w... wrote:
      > J&E Shepard also had a joinery business. Their shop was in the
      Cowgate. I dont know when they were established. They also had
      connections with the Good Shepards I beleive this was around Bell St
      or Constitution Rd
    • banjo046@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
        The period that I remember them from is 1948 to 1965. The company that I
        worked for (D&G Law) was established in 1760 under the name of D&A Law.
        We had a thirty foot one peice wooden ladder which was made by J&E
        Shepard. The actual date of manufacture I dont know but I would guess it
        would be in the very early eighteen hundreds. I dont know if it is any
        help but their workshop was opposite Queen Street in the Cowgate. I am
        not sure but I think the man that was in charge of the joinery
        department was called Jim Shepard. He used to run around in an 1932
        Diamler.
      • Grant Buttars
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2001
          > not sure but I think the man that was in charge of the joinery
          > department was called Jim Shepard. He used to run around in an 1932
          > Diamler.

          There seem to have been a lot of them. I was back in Dundee and dug
          up a lot of info, including a contact address for a family member.
          The joinery business in the Cowgate was called Inglis Shepherd but
          was the same family.

          Best wishes,

          Grant