Morgan Academy Picture

  • Jim Phillip
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2001
      I have been putting together a picture collection of the Morgan
      Academy (for my own personal use) after the fire. I can find plenty
      of pictures of the fire but no reaally good ones of the school
      before.

      I have been trying to scan in some 35mm slides I have but although
      they look OK on B&W I am having trouble with colour correction.

      Does anyone know of a site where I can get a good high resolution
      picture - or can anyone upload one to the files area? (I am looking
      for a file size about 200K - not one of the 30K ones which are
      around.)

      Thanks. If no one replies I will post a B&W which is pretty good.

      Maybe its asking too much - but does anyone know where I can get some
      sort of picture of the "honours" boards in the main hall? Did they
      survive the fire?

      It's only when things are gone that we remember about them and wish
      we had cared before.

      Jim Phillip
    • Viv Martin
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2001
        Hi Jim

        How big is the file? I only have 56K modem; if you send to me I will/like
        to have a crack at colour correction and see what we can come up with.

        Kind regards

        Viv Martin
        Melbourne, Australia

        I have been trying to scan in some 35mm slides I have but although
        they look OK on B&W I am having trouble with colour correction.

        .
      • Grant Buttars
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2001
          Jim,

          Are you using a scanner that is capable of scanning slides properly,
          i.e. does it have an illuminated 'lid' (there's probably a better
          technical term)? I have tried very unsuccessfully to scan slides
          with a basic conventional scanner and eventually gave up.

          As to the boards. I wouldn't imagine they have survived, but I'm
          going to be in Dundee next week and should be speaking to someone 'in
          the know', so I'll try and find out and let you know. If they
          haven't survived, I hope the relevant information has to allow new
          ones to be made.

          Best wishes

          Grant
        • Jim Phillip
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
            I have developed my own method of scanning slides using a
            conventional scanner and a slide projector as a source of "white"
            light (the slide is placed on the glass surface and the projector
            light is diffused and reflected through it) This method has worked
            quite well.

            Unfortunately the batch of slides in question has faded badly over
            30 years. The blue has virtually disappeared and there is a red cast
            all over them.

            I cannot send them to anyone since I am working with 3 25 Meg
            colour seperation files. If I compress them then all hopes of proper
            colour correction would disappear. I intend to keep trying though.

            Jim Phillip

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
              Hi Jim

              I have as Epson 1200 Perfection scanner which claims to go up to 9600 dpi
              but that is not physically possible with file size limitations and memory
              constraints. Strange that mine have mainly slightly blue cast; I think some
              have red but I have been able to filter them quite well. I am scanning some
              very old stuff including 1920's? glass negatives and they have come up very
              well. Can cut to CD with varying resolutions depending what is required for
              the end result? CD's hold tremendous number and our now extremely cheap.
              If you want to send one of your lesser valuable slides, I am still willing
              to have a go!

              Kind regards

              Viv Martin

              ,-._|\ Viv Martin, PO Box 341, Mentone, Victoria, Australia 3194
              / Oz \ Ph.03 9583 5372 ~ Mobile 0419 310 235. Member of
              \_,--.x/ Melbourne PC User Group Inc.,CAV,AIGS,GSV,Martin FHS,
              v various world FHS. Accredited Quicken/QuickBooks trainer.