Re: [dundee-history] Airlie Terrace/Place

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2001
      At 02:14 PM 07/03/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >Attention: Jim Robertson... & anyone else who may be able to help!
      >
      >Dear Jim
      >
      >I was very interested to see from an earlier message that your home
      >was in Airlie Place.
      >
      >My family lived (albeit rather earlier than you!), in Airlie Terrace
      >and Airlie Place as follows:
      Catherine,

      Airlie Terrace faced the River, and looked south - it was rather more
      desirable
      than the two wings - Airlie Place - which ran north to south, facing E & W.
      My first home was 21 Airlie Place, at the top right hand corner of the square,
      and garden area. We lived there from around '23 - '30 , I suppose one would
      call these middle class apartments, but technically they were tenements, with
      internal stairways.

      We must have had three bedrooms, a lounge, kitchen and bathroom, all quite
      comfortable and moderately roomy. I guess they were three or four storey
      blocks.

      No idea what the rents were like, our lot were quite static. The Terrace rents
      would have been higher than the Place rents I would guess. Airlie House was
      on a large block , adjacent to the Perth Road, and opposite a garden over the
      much lower railway sidings. It was a Student Residence for UCD. My Mother
      lived there before her marriage!

      Can't tell you much more really. Hope this helps you.

      Jimmie