RE: [dundee-history] New to the group - Hotels

  • Ken Anton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hello and welcome to the group.

      Mathers Hotel became the Tay Hotel in the 1970s and operated into the early
      1990s. It was used as a hostel till about 1998 and now lies empty and very
      forlorn. It is situated at the west end of Whitehall Crescent, at the foot
      of Union Street.

      Another former hotel nearby, the Royal Hotel at the top of Union Street at
      the Nethergate was converted into flats in 1995 approx. and is fully
      occupied. Hopefully the old Mathers building will be similarly converted
      and saved.

      Many of the old city centre hotels have moved on (new discussion thread
      starting!!)

      The Angus Hotel was closed a couple of years ago to make way for the new
      Overgate shopping centre rebuild;

      There was also one at the top of Castle Street (can't remember its name)
      which became Chalmers Hall - a university hall of residence. This too is
      now closed.

      The Earl Grey hotel at the waterfront is now the Hilton.

      The Queens Hotel on Nethergate / Perth Road is still going strong, and in
      good shape.

      Best rgds

      Ken