New to the group

  • barnich39@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hello:
      I was just looking at some of the wonderful information that is available
      to this group. I especially found the pictures of Dundee interesting. My
      ggrandfather, William Wilson, lived on Murrygate according to the Census of
      1871. He was a coal merchant.

      My grandparents were married at the Mather's Hotel in Dundee in 1898. Where
      was that located? Is it still there?

      I would be interested in knowing the very early history of Dundee. Is there a
      good book available or possibly a web site?

      Thank you
      Barbara Wilson Nichols
      St Clair, Michigan, USA
      Researching in Dundee: Alexander and Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001
        At 03:15 PM 28/02/2001 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hello:
        >
        >My grandparents were married at the Mather's Hotel in Dundee in 1898. Where
        >was that located? Is it still there?
        >
        >I would be interested in knowing the very early history of Dundee. Is there a
        >good book available or possibly a web site?
        Barbara,

        Interestingly, my own Grandparents were married in Mather's Temperance
        Hotel around 1898 also! It is at the foot of Union St, and the corner of
        Whitehall Crescent., now close to the road access to the road Bridge.
        There is a great PC in our files of a lady passing the Hotel splendidly set
        up on a cart and horse.

        Re Books - Have a look at my list of books about Dundee - it is hopefully at
        http://jimjar.net/DUNDEE. You might get some of the more recent books ex
        a Library exchange scheme locally.

        Jim Robertson - Eumundi, Qld., Oz.