Re: [dundee-history] Digest Number 102

  • Doon The Toon
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2001
      Hi Ken.You said:-

      >Your observations are entirely correct - I am a member of Hospital Radio
      >Tayside, based (now) at Ninewells,

      Where about in Ninewells? I work in the University's Medical School.

      Doon.

      "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
      - John Lennon (1940 - 1980)
    • Ken Anton
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2001
        Hello Doon,

        It's a small world!

        The hospital radio studio is on level 5 almost next to the doctors rest
        room, and next to a nurses locker area. We've been there a couple of years,
        before that we were in DRI on the top floor of the old nurses residence
        (Clarence House) since 1990, and even before that in Rosebery Street. Some
        people remember us as Toc H, as the station was originally founded by Toc H
        in 1952, but we became an independent charity in 1984. I've been a member
        since 1976.

        The station now broadcasts 24 hours a day to the bedside radio sets in
        almost all the wards of Ninewells Hospital and Kings Cross too, and day-room
        radios (though the TV usually dominates the day-rooms). The important
        difference between public radio and hospital radio is that we regularly
        visit our listeners in the hospital wards, for a chat and to collect music
        requests. All our staff are volunteers, and live programming is on
        week-day evenings and afternoons at the weekend.

        I'm not very active at the moment - all my programmes are pre-recorded,
        mainly classical chamber music, but I used to do a lot of programming,
        broadcasting and ward-visiting, before I worked away from Dundee.

        At danger of going on too long about hospital radio (there's an egroup for
        that too!), if you're interested, you (and anyone else who may be
        interested) would like to come and visit the studio you would be made most
        welcome. Just let me know and I'll arrange it with another member of the
        committee.

        My daytime telephone number is 0131 622 8906.

        Best regards

        Ken Anton