New member,Dundee questions

  • patA41@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2001
      I am new to this group & have been enjoying the photos & other
      material in the files, as well as reading past messages. I`ve already
      learned much about Dundee. I tried to post yesterday while I was
      still a 'pending' member. That message must have been lost in
      the "ether",so I will try again!

      My grandfather,George Reid Wilson,was born in Dundee in 1890 & left
      for Canada in 1912. Up until the late 1950`s I corresponded with his
      sister,May Wilson Smart, in Dundee. Being a child,I was not
      interested in what they had to say about Dundee,though I know my
      grandfather loved his home very much.( I was more interested in the
      shortbread & marmalade my aunt sent!) I hope to remedy my ignorance
      through this group! I have several questions which have come to mind
      as I have been doing a genealogy of the Wilsons & Reids.
      1. My grandfather was born at 26 Union Pl. Can anyone tell me where
      this street was located & what type of housing was there in 1890?
      What school would a child living there then have attended?
      2. My greatgrandparents lived at 349 Blackness Rd. from about 1920
      to the mid 1930`s. In what section of Dundee was this street located
      & was it near Corso St? ( my aunt lived at #17 Corso)
      3. My Reid family lived in Highland Close,Overgate in the 1860`s.
      What were living conditions like there at that time?
      4. My grandfather`s greatgrandfather was an "earthen ware dealer" in
      the (approx.) 1830`s. Would he have had a shop in the city? Also,
      what exactly did a "calendar worker" do?

      My thanks to anyone who can help me with these questions.
      Pat Rodgers,Alden,NY,US
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2001
        At 03:34 PM 03/02/2001 +0000, Pat Rogers wrote:

        > I have several questions which have come to mind
        >as I have been doing a genealogy of the Wilsons & Reids.
        > 1. My grandfather was born at 26 Union Pl. Can anyone tell me where
        >this street was located & what type of housing was there in 1890?

        There were two Union Streets, cant' spot the Place! One was opposite
        the City Churches, running down towards the river - all shops and flats
        above. On the south side of the Nethergate. The other was toward the
        East of the Centre just North of St Andrews Church, off Wellgate.
        Both would have been central residential/shop areas.

        > 2. My greatgrandparents lived at 349 Blackness Rd.

        The Blackness Road was/ still is, a major road running up to the NW
        of the town reaching Balgay Park. Corso St was a little short St running
        west off Peddie st on the S side of the Blackie, just short of the West
        Poor House.

        > 3. My Reid family lived in Highland Close,Overgate in the 1860`s.
        In a word - appalling, they still were in the 1930s! Now demolished!!
        Highland Close ran North from the Overgate up to Willison St -
        was one of around ten tenement closes between Lindsay St
        and Barrack St.

        > 4. My grandfather`s greatgrandfather was an "earthen ware dealer" in
        >the (approx.) 1830`s. Would he have had a shop in the city? Also,
        >what exactly did a "calendar worker" do?

        a claendar was a great heated mangle used in the processing of
        woven flax, and later jute.

        How's that for starters!!

        Jimmie R

      • sam.ball@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2001
          There were two Union Places.
          The first was in Lochee now demolished.

          The second is off the Perth Road, a cul de sac, and the next road to
          Step Row. I used to live at number 29 (in the late 40's) therefore 26
          would be on the left as you walk down the road probably just past
          Lotties shop.

          I have not been there for quite a few years and I think looking at
          the aerial photographs on www.multimap.com that the left side has
          since been demolished.

          From memory, the housing was 3 storey tenements of the better style
          complete with indoor toilets! probably converted since the 1890's.

          The likely primary school would have been The Hawkhill Primary School
          off Cherryfield Lane.

          I hope this is the place you are referring to.

          Regards
          Sam Ball

          --- In dundee-history@y..., patA41@a... wrote:
          > I am new to this group & have been enjoying the photos & other
          > material in the files, as well as reading past messages. I`ve
          already
          > learned much about Dundee. I tried to post yesterday while I was
          > still a 'pending' member. That message must have been lost in
          > the "ether",so I will try again!
          >
          > My grandfather,George Reid Wilson,was born in Dundee in 1890 & left
          > for Canada in 1912. Up until the late 1950`s I corresponded with
          his
          > sister,May Wilson Smart, in Dundee. Being a child,I was not
          > interested in what they had to say about Dundee,though I know my
          > grandfather loved his home very much.( I was more interested in the
          > shortbread & marmalade my aunt sent!) I hope to remedy my ignorance
          > through this group! I have several questions which have come to
          mind
          > as I have been doing a genealogy of the Wilsons & Reids.
          > 1. My grandfather was born at 26 Union Pl. Can anyone tell me
          where
          > this street was located & what type of housing was there in 1890?
          > What school would a child living there then have attended?
          > 2. My greatgrandparents lived at 349 Blackness Rd. from about 1920
          > to the mid 1930`s. In what section of Dundee was this street
          located
          > & was it near Corso St? ( my aunt lived at #17 Corso)
          > 3. My Reid family lived in Highland Close,Overgate in the 1860`s.
          > What were living conditions like there at that time?
          > 4. My grandfather`s greatgrandfather was an "earthen ware dealer"
          in
          > the (approx.) 1830`s. Would he have had a shop in the city? Also,
          > what exactly did a "calendar worker" do?
          >
          > My thanks to anyone who can help me with these questions.
          > Pat Rodgers,Alden,NY,US
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2001
            --- In dundee-history@y..., Jim Robertson <jimjar@o...> wrote:
            > At 03:34 PM 03/02/2001 +0000, Pat Rogers wrote:
            >
            > > I have several questions which have come to mind
            > >as I have been doing a genealogy of the Wilsons & Reids.
            > > 1. My grandfather was born at 26 Union Pl. Can anyone tell me
            where
            > >this street was located & what type of housing was there in 1890?
            >
            > There were two Union Streets, cant' spot the Place! One was opposite
            > the City Churches, running down towards the river - all shops and
            flats
            > above. On the south side of the Nethergate. The other was toward the
            > East of the Centre just North of St Andrews Church, off Wellgate.
            > Both would have been central residential/shop areas.
            >

            > > 2. My greatgrandparents lived at 349 Blackness Rd.
            >

            > The Blackness Road was/ still is, a major road running up to the NW
            > of the town reaching Balgay Park. Corso St was a little short St
            running
            > west off Peddie st on the S side of the Blackie, just short of the
            West
            > Poor House.
            >

            > > 3. My Reid family lived in Highland Close,Overgate in the 1860`s.
            > In a word - appalling, they still were in the 1930s! Now
            demolished!!
            > Highland Close ran North from the Overgate up to Willison St -
            > was one of around ten tenement closes between Lindsay St
            > and Barrack St.
            >
            > > 4. My grandfather`s greatgrandfather was an "earthen ware
            dealer" in
            > >the (approx.) 1830`s. Would he have had a shop in the city? Also,
            > >what exactly did a "calendar worker" do?
            >
            > a claendar was a great heated mangle used in the processing of
            > woven flax, and later jute.
            >
            > How's that for starters!!
            >
            > Jimmie R
            >

            > >My thanks to anyone who can help me with these questions.
            > >Pat Rodgers,Alden,NY,US
            > >
            > >Hello

            Have been trawling through the archives and came across this entry on
            Union Place. Strangely enough 26 Union Place which is situated off
            the Perth Road on the left, just after Step Row is where my
            Grandparents lived Mr & Mrs J Evans, as a kid I used to go there
            every Sunday after church, catching the tramcar from outside the
            Gaumont Cinema, it was a tenement building near the bottom of Union
            Place. Hope this helps.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 19, 2001
              Dave, thanks so much for the information about Union Place! Hopefully,I will
              be able to visit Dundee one day & see the city my Grandfather often talked
              about.
              Pat