International Brigade

  • nightingalejanice@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
      Happy New Year, fellow list members,
      Still after info re Annfield House and Morgan Acadamy, if anyone's
      going through their books. Also, there is a monument somewhere in
      Dundee(I have a copy of the inscription)to the Dundee members of the
      International Brigade who served in Spain. Does anyone have any data
      in their Dundee history books re. this group?
      You'll all be pleased to know Hogmany was well celebrated in this
      corner of Australia. A glass or two of Dewars and Dad was waxing
      lyrical about "plunking the cundies" and all the pranks the young
      Watson St lads got up to. Their favourite game involved finding a
      suitable tenament, tying a short length of rope to a door handle and
      tying the other end to the handle of the door across the hall, then
      you knock on both doors...and run like hell! and I won't tell you
      what they used to do to the poor Italian tutti frutti ice cream man.
      A bunch of poor boys can get pretty inovative when it comes to
      getting a feed of free ice cream.
      Hardly history I know, but he paints a vivid picture of the social
      context of life in Dundee in the forties.
      Many thanks to all who uploaded pictures to file and photographical
      site links. My parents had a lovely time reminising when I showed
      them. Australia has been their home for forty years, but I think they
      still get home sick for the old country.
      Wishing you all a healthy and prosperous new millenium
      Janice N'
      in OZ
    • Bob Neave
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2001
        --Hi Janice,ask your Dad if he remembers any of the Neaves that lived
        in Watson st,have a happy new year Scotty58

      • G.Buttars@tesco.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2001
          >there is a monument somewhere in
          > Dundee(I have a copy of the inscription)to the Dundee members of
          the
          > International Brigade who served in Spain.

          It sits in the gardens on the east side of the McManus Galleries. I
          don't know if anything published but believe there may be a PhD
          thesis somewhere in the Dundee Uni library - but don't quote me on
          this.

          Grant
        • nightingalejanice@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2001
            Hi Bob,
            Only had a chance to talk to Dad, briefly. He vaguely remembers the
            Neave family in Watson St. But could only recall that they 'were
            mostly girls' He didn't know them, but knew of them. Shame, it would
            have been nice to connect him with an old boyhood chum over the Net.
            Janice N'
          • Bob Neave
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2001
              ---Hi Janice,your dad is right, there were 9 girls and 2 boys in their
              family,when they left watson st they moved to lillybank rd,all the
              best Bob N