RE: [dundee-history] Re-2001 calandar

  • kbeck@lsuhsc.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2000
      Thanks for that quick reply.

      I was wondering about something else that seems to be uniquely Dundonian,
      and that is, in conversation, mostly from "weemin", the phrase , "So eh
      turned 'roond and said to her/him/etc . . . . ".

      Does anyone know the significance/origin of "turnin' 'roon" to tell
      somebody something??

    • Nathan Cornfoot
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 17, 2000
        This is just a guess, but I would think they meant to have a face to face
        confrontation to disagree with some statement.
        Nat Cornfoot.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2000
          At 03:11 PM 17/12/2000 -0500, Nat Cornfoot wrote:
          >This is just a guess, but I would think they meant to have a face to face
          >confrontation to disagree with some statement.

          The Dundee patter was full of generous extra words - like the example given!
          I still am guilty now and then of using the expression " I'm away to close the
          front gate", or "I am away to get the messages", it really was meant to imply
          that I was about to do something. In the vernacular of course it was "awa" !

          Long time away from Dundee - since 1945 in fact, when i was called up to
          Bridge of Don Barracks in Aberdeen!!

          Now then Scotty, - You have done an absolutely great job in scanning this
          calendar, and placing the .jpgs in our Files. They really are fascinating in
          all sorts of ways. I'm sure that our "locals" will be able to date the buses
          on Shore Terrace. The steam puffer was still going I see, and lots of steam
          and smoke escaping from Dundee East station, so one can get near to
          dating it. The picture of Law Hill, has to have been drawn from below
          West Albany Terrace, or maybe even from below Dudhope Terrace.
          I was surprised at the "bare patch" near the Memorial. What was it?
          From memory I was expecting to see more houses reaching up to the
          top of Law Hill.

          A very nice touch mentioning this Calendar, and also letting us see some of
          the drawings.

          Merry Christmas Wishes to everyone - All the best for 2001

          Jimmie R

          PS - I'll be writing shortly about the new "Yahoo Groups" which will encompass
          Yahoo Clubs and eGroups. This will start to happen in the New Year.