Re: [dundee-history] Scottish Linen Industry

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2000
      At 05:59 2000-08-06 +0000, Bob McNicoll wrote:

      >I'm looking for information about the Scottish linen industry, in the
      >18th century. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to
      >proceed?

      Bob, For starters, please take a look at our Links, in our Home page. "My
      Dundee History Books" gives you a flying start, with ISBNs, authors names, and
      publishers. Go to the 19th & 20th century page. "Dundee Textile Industry"
      has a
      good Index, and many refs re linen & flax. Trade with Russia was important for
      the raw materials. "The Life & Times of Dundee", "Dundee and its Textile
      Industry", as well as "The Trade & Shipping of Dundee" each have quite
      substantial refs to linen, and flax processing in the town, and surrounds.
      There were stacks of flax bleach works in the country around Dundee too!

      Good luck in hunting out some of these books.

      Jimmie R Eumundi, Qld., Oz.
    • Grant E. L. Buttars
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2000
        Try: Durie, Alastair J., 'The Scottish linen industry in the eighteenth
        century', Edinburgh Donald, 1979

        Grant Buttars
        (Dundee, Scotland)
        http://homepages.tesco.net/~G.Buttars/