Re: [dundee-history] Re: The Vault

  • Don McEwan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2000
      Jim Robertson wrote:

      > --- In dundee-history@egroups.com, lynn.allan@b... wrote:
      > > Could some one please tell me where the Vault is,
      >
      > Lynn,
      >
      > The dusty old Vault nomenclature got swept up with the new broom of
      > our recent up grade in Format - which overall has been very user
      > friendly.
      >
      > Have a hunt around our newly designed Home Page - you will find all
      > the material that was in the Vault, in ye Olden Days, now reposing
      > in "FILE". Our "Links" have survived without a name change you will
      > see!
      >
      > A reminder to all - Do go to
      > http://www.egroups.com/list/dundee-history/info.html
      >
      > Happy hunting - you never know what you will find, even Don McEwans
      > very acceptable piece about the sugar cane growers of the Caribbean,
      > ex good old Kirrie.
      >
      > Incidentally, whilst I have pen in hand - we really ought to broaden
      > our coverage to "Dundee & District History" coverage. Just to loosen
      > the stays a trifle. Any comments on this, please. If we keep our focus
      > on the Historical/Locational aspects we won't run into the well served
      > Genealogy/FH area.
      >
      > Sorry for a longish silence. Have been having a bit of replacement
      > surgery to a wearying, and leaking heart valve. Mercifully all OK now.
      >
      > Jim Robertson

      I would certainly support this extending of the area which we discuss -
      it is almost impossible to separate the City from the County in so many
      subjects. Few citizens of either were without some connection with the
      other.

      And events in history would often overflow.
      I have just been trying to find time to read a book about 'The Railways
      of Dundee' (title) which starts with the Dundee-Newtyle Railway.
      Built to access the agricultural produce of the farms on the other side
      of the Sidlaw Hills. I didn't know that at one time the towns in Angus
      (Coupar Angus, Kettins, Kirriemuir, Alyth) weren't allowed to hold
      markets - because Dundee had the Charter (King David II, 1359)

      So I say yes. :o)

      Glad your op. was a success! :o)
      Did you know that Scotland's 'First Minister', Donald Dewar is to go in
      soon for the same op., Jim?
      You could e-mail him and reassure him! :o)

      --
      Don McEwan
      West Lothian

      Jings, Crivvens & Help Ma Boab.!