[dundee-history] Re:Quarries around Dundee

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2000
      It might be worth while trying the Central library in the Wellgate,
      to scan their Trade Directories for Dundee & district, for the names
      of Quarriers, in recent years.

      I suspect that we would find more quarries than one might imagine.

      There was even one off the Pitkerro Road/Dalkeith Road, run by the
      Council, where as a side issue they made paving slabs.!

      Kingoodie on the river is well known, but there were also quarries
      further west near Kilspindie, up in the hills, which supplied building
      stones for many of the tenements in Dundee and Perth!.

      Jim R Eumundi, Qld., Oz.
    • Grant E. L. Buttars
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2000
        My great grandfather came from a family of quarrriers at Friockheim. He was
        sometime the manager of Leoch Quarry by Dundee. It provided the stone for,
        amongst other things, Gleneagles Hotel I am informed.

        Grant E. L. Buttars
        (Dundee, Scotland)
        http://homepages.tesco.net/~G.Buttars/