[dundee-history] don wilkie

  • Robin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
      don I have a question for you if you don't mind
      answering... do you live in the United States... the
      reason I ask is my mothers madin name is Wilkie... and
      I have not done much research on that side of the
      family .. but my uncles name is don.. lol.. so when I
      first saw your name I thought of him.. I have yet to
      be able to collect enough stuff of that side of the
      family yet but is still interesting to see another
      Wilkie out there...
      --- don wilkie <dsjw@...> wrote:
      > could anybody give me information on the quarries
      > around Dundee, eg
      > kingoodie.mason mylne field quarries.

      > Apply NOW!
      >
      > -- 20 megs of disk space in your group's Document
      > Vault
      > --
      > http://www.egroups.com/docvault/dundee-history/?m=1

      =====
      Christine's Corner
      www.homestead.com/jurnne/Christine.html
      Check out my new page.. and sign the wall
      Unknown Dragon
      www.homestead.com/jurnne/cancer.html
      http://im.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2000
        It might be worth while trying the Central library in the Wellgate,
        to scan their Trade Directories for Dundee & district, for the names
        of Quarriers, in recent years.

        I suspect that we would find more quarries than one might imagine.

        There was even one off the Pitkerro Road/Dalkeith Road, run by the
        Council, where as a side issue they made paving slabs.!

        Kingoodie on the river is well known, but there were also quarries
        further west near Kilspindie, up in the hills, which supplied building
        stones for many of the tenements in Dundee and Perth!.

        Jim R Eumundi, Qld., Oz.
      • Grant E. L. Buttars
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2000
          My great grandfather came from a family of quarrriers at Friockheim. He was
          sometime the manager of Leoch Quarry by Dundee. It provided the stone for,
          amongst other things, Gleneagles Hotel I am informed.

          Grant E. L. Buttars
          (Dundee, Scotland)
          http://homepages.tesco.net/~G.Buttars/