[dundee-history] 2nd attempt

  • Malcolm Davidson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 1999
      Hello, dundee-history subscribers. I sent the message below on Friday
      and it still hasn't made the list, so I'll send it again. If you get 2
      copies, I apologize.

      -------------------------------

      ---Grant Buttars <G.Buttars@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > Could someone please clarify the purpose of this
      > list. I thought it was "an email discussion list
      > for people interested in the history of Dundee",
      > with a different but complimentary emphasis to a
      > family history mailing list.
      > Perhaps it is me who has misunderstood...

      Yes, let's get that straight if we can.

      First, I'm sorry. I started the list and then went on holiday, so I
      wasn't here to greet new subscribers.

      When I started this mailing list, I did it because I didn't realize
      that there was any sort of Dundee related list at all. I had scoured
      the usual search engines and found nothing. (The owners of the family
      history list are crap at promoting it. I'll help them.)

      But had I found the family history list first, I still would have
      wanted to start this list because I am more interested in the history
      of the city itself than in clearing up questions of the parentage of
      people with some link to the city.

      Here's what I suggest: all who want Dundee family history should also
      join the family history list, and they should send name questions
      ("JONES, JOHN -- anyone related?") to it. You are welcome to stay on
      this list and I encourage you to do so, presuming that you are
      interested in the city as well as in your great aunt's second cousin's
      nephew's birth date. But the experts on great aunt's and all the
      paperwork that they entail are all on the family history list. I
      presume that a fair share of them are professionals who will be quite
      helpful only in exchange for your Visa number, but no doubt a good
      many of them are amateur genealogists in the best sense of the word:
      they would love to help you clear up any questions as to your parentage.

      All who are interested in the city itself and of course the people who
      lived in it, but who are not necessarily interested in the minutiae of
      their ancestry, should stay on this list, where we'll try to
      concentrate on the history of the city.

      Now, if I've put my foot in it, please let me know. I haven't yet read
      all the messages that have come in while I was gone, and perhaps I've
      missed an important point that came in later.

      Anyway, according to:

      http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~anicoll/genuki/ANS/

      here's how to join the family history list:

      genealogy and history has also been created. It is hosted through the
      Rootsweb Genealogical Database Collective (www.rootsweb.com).
      If you are interested in subscribing, here are the instructions:
      You can subscribe by writing to the Listserve computer. The list is
      available in mail mode (individual messages) or digest mode (messages
      grouped together in one mailing per day). If you prefer single
      messages, subscribe by sending a message to:
      ANGUS-L-request@...
      that contains the word subscribe and nothing else. If you prefer
      digest mode (multiple messages from one day), then you should send the
      command instead to
      ANGUS-D-request@...
      You will receive a confirmation message
      with more detailed information about the list. To post to the list,
      send your message to
      ANGUS-L@...
      "

      ---------------------

      Greetings to all subscribers of dundee-history. Please don't quit in a
      huff if you joined for family history; stay on this list and help us
      learn about Dundee.

      Malcolm Davidson
      Gdansk, Poland (Yes, Poland. Really.)

      ==
      Malcolm Davidson - Gdansk, Poland
      malcolm@... or madpoland@...
      http://members.wbs.net/homepages/i/n/3/in3/lists.htm

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/dundee-history
    • Don McEwan
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 1999
        Malcolm Davidson wrote:

        > Hello, dundee-history subscribers. I sent the message below on Friday
        > and it still hasn't made the list, so I'll send it again. If you get 2
        > copies, I apologize.

        Well, we got a short message about membership numbers, but that's all.

        > -------------------------------
        >
        > ---Grant Buttars <G.Buttars@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi folks,
        > >
        > > Could someone please clarify the purpose of this
        > > list. I thought it was "an email discussion list
        > > for people interested in the history of Dundee",
        > > with a different but complimentary emphasis to a
        > > family history mailing list.
        > > Perhaps it is me who has misunderstood...

        > Yes, let's get that straight if we can.
        >
        > First, I'm sorry. I started the list and then went on holiday, so I
        > wasn't here to greet new subscribers.
        >
        > When I started this mailing list, I did it because I didn't realize
        > that there was any sort of Dundee related list at all. I had scoured
        > the usual search engines and found nothing. (The owners of the family
        > history list are crap at promoting it. I'll help them.)

        I think we have here a 'Listowner' with a "robust" sense of humour!!! :o)
        :o)

        I am SURE you have no wish to offend anyone - if you are not 'into'
        genealogy you are welcome to avoid it.!! :o)
        However - one of my favourite words - it does tend to walk side-by-side, if
        not hand-in-hand, with an interest in history.

        > But had I found the family history list first, I still would have
        > wanted to start this list because I am more interested in the history
        > of the city itself than in clearing up questions of the parentage of
        > people with some link to the city.
        So you will find a LOT of names on both lists - others have no interest in
        History and are equally entitled to keep clear of THIS list. :o)
        When Camille started the 'Angus' (Family History/Genealogy) List I
        recommended that it include Dundee because the City and the County have
        always been closely linked. Unfortunately, Dundee is not mentioned in the
        'title' of the list, so presumably would not show up the connection during
        a Web search. But quite a few subscribers have Dundee connections. And
        MOST - not ALL - are interested in MORE than the 'dry' data of Genealogy,
        descendants in far away places would LOVE to get a bit of a feeling of how
        their forebears lived and what their society was like. And some living
        expatriates have nostalgic feelings for more recent 'History' - like when
        Dundee and Dundee United F.C.s had successful teams'!!!! :o( :o(

        > Here's what I suggest: all who want Dundee family history should also
        > join the family history list, and they should send name questions
        > ("JONES, JOHN -- anyone related?") to it. You are welcome to stay on
        > this list and I encourage you to do so, presuming that you are
        > interested in the city as well as in your great aunt's second cousin's
        > nephew's birth date. But the experts on great aunt's and all the
        > paperwork that they entail are all on the family history list.

        > I presume that a fair share of them are professionals who will be quite
        > helpful only in exchange for your Visa number, but no doubt a good
        > many of them are amateur genealogists in the best sense of the word:
        > they would love to help you clear up any questions as to your parentage.
        I will read that as a 'humorous' suggestion - which happens to be
        inaccurate - any 'professionals' on the Angus List are subscribers like
        everyone else, and give of their information - which is usually EXTREMELY
        valuable and not easily available from other sources - without suggestion
        of payment. Anyone who wishes to employ them 'professionally' can do so
        directly by private mail.
        I fervently hope that your words have not been (mis)interpreted by any of
        them.!! :o) :o) :o(
        We would miss their input, believe me.!!

        > All who are interested in the city itself and of course the people who
        > lived in it, but who are not necessarily interested in the minutiae of
        > their ancestry, should stay on this list, where we'll try to
        > concentrate on the history of the city.
        I am delighted that this list has started, and I hope that most of the
        'Angus' list subscribers join us.

        > Now, if I've put my foot in it, please let me know. I haven't yet read
        > all the messages that have come in while I was gone, and perhaps I've
        > missed an important point that came in later.
        Perhaps you should GENTLY raise your size 10 (?) out of 'it' and we will
        all look forward to a happy - and humorous - future blether aboot auld
        Dundee an' a' whae yaised tae bide there. An a' whit has jist bin nockit
        doon again, roond the Overgate.
        Not to mention the plans for Dens Park.!! :o(

        > Anyway, according to:
        >
        > http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~anicoll/genuki/ANS/
        >
        > here's how to join the family history list:
        >
        > ---------------------

        SNIPPED Angus joining instructions.
        > ---------------------
        >
        > Greetings to all subscribers of dundee-history. Please don't quit in a
        > huff if you joined for family history; stay on this list and help us
        > learn about Dundee.
        >
        > Malcolm Davidson
        > Gdansk, Poland (Yes, Poland. Really.)
        >
        > ==
        > Malcolm Davidson - Gdansk, Poland
        > malcolm@... or madpoland@...
        > http://members.wbs.net/homepages/i/n/3/in3/lists.htm

        MY capital letters are for EMPHASIS, NOT SHOUTING.!

        'Waving, not drowning.!'

        --
        Don McEwan
        Linlithgow

        Jings, Crivvens & Help Ma Boab.!
        <mailto:don.mcewan@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 1999
          ---Don McEwan <don.mcewan@...> wrote:

          > I think we have here a 'Listowner' with a
          > "robust" sense of humour!!! :o)

          I hope that's how people take it.

          I happen to be a bit, though not madly, interested in genealogy,
          probably for the same reasons that many people are. I was more
          interested, however, in hearing things that interest everybody. For
          instance, what's this about plans for the park?

          ==

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 1999

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 1999
              Malcolm Davidson wrote:

              > ---Don McEwan <don.mcewan@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I think we have here a 'Listowner' with a
              > > "robust" sense of humour!!! :o)
              >
              > I hope that's how people take it.
              >
              > I happen to be a bit, though not madly, interested in genealogy,
              > probably for the same reasons that many people are. I was more
              > interested, however, in hearing things that interest everybody. For
              > instance, what's this about plans for the park?
              >
              > ==
              > Malcolm Davidson - Gdansk, Poland
              > malcolm@... or madpoland@...
              > http://members.wbs.net/homepages/i/n/3/in3/lists.htm

              Well -
              Roughly - Dundee FC are back in the (new) Premier League and one of the
              conditions is that their ground (football stadium) must meet certain
              standards - probably referenced to a Report which was produced after
              various football match disasters.
              The ground must be all seated (?) Dens has the old open 'terracing' with
              standing room only. So they have to build two new 'Stands' (which means
              seated accommodation, for overseas readers!!), work should start within a
              couple of weeks if they are to be finished in time - they need 'umpteen'
              million UKPounds and are broke (ish). As well as being in the bottom three
              in the League.!! :o(
              Last week the Dundee Chairman/Owner floated a kite (suggested) that Dundee
              FC and Dundee United FC should 'merge'. This put the 'pussy' among the
              'doos' and much discussion has ensued.
              DundeeFC are asking any and every one anywhere to help - money is more
              appreciated than best wishes (my quip).
              GO TO: http://www.dundeefc.co.uk/
              for the official Web Page. Where you can see:

              BUILDING TOGETHER -
              DUNDEE F.C.'s FUTURE

              As most supporters will be aware, this is probably the most important
              season in
              the club's long history. As part of the new Scottish Premier League, the
              club is
              required to put in place a minimum of 10,000 seats in order to meet SPL
              criteria
              and maintain SPL status.

              To that end work will hopefully start in the next couple of
              weeks on Phase One of the redevelopment of Dens Park,
              with two modern stands being constructed in time for the
              start of season 1999/2000.

              To be situated behind both of the goals, each stand will
              house over 3,000 spectators and will provide facilities
              worthy of one of Scotland's premier clubs.

              To allow our supporters the opportunity to have their
              name immortalised in the new Dens Park, inscribed bricks
              are being made available for purchase for inclusion in the new West Stand
              at a
              cost of £25 per brick.
              There are 4,000 bricks available for purchase on a first -come first-
              served basis,
              and once sold, no more will be made available.

              Application forms for the purchase of bricks will be given to every Dundee
              fans
              who attends this weekend's game against St Johnstone. However the club
              would
              also like Exiled fans to participate and they can get details of how to do
              so by
              emailing the Dundee FC's Commercial Department.

              Hope this is of interest.

              --
              Don McEwan
              Lothian