[dundee-history] Re: Re:The days around Boxing Day - How it was!

  • John Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 1999
      Thanks to all the posts on Boxing Day in Scotland,it settled a lot of arguments here in Vancouver,
      I have another for you all-
      As a very young lad in Dundee my parents would take us kids to the City Square about 10o"clock
      at Hogmany.The vendors around the square wre selling various (favours}
      Theparty stuff I could understand but I could
      never figure out what was the tradition of the
      dressed up smoked kipper ?
      John Taylor
      Jim Robertson wrote:

      John Taylor will be amused at the following message just picked up from
      another
      Mailing List.
      The writer was from Dumfries, but his comments are very much on the ball, and
      relevant to our thread.

      ""In 1899 over most of Scotland Christmas day would have been treated as just
      another working day. New Year's Day (Hogmanay) was the day celebrated in its
      stead. In about 1952 some of the local shops in Girvan, Ayrshire started
      closing half day on Christmas Day which caused an outcry in the local press.
      I have no doubt that in parts of the highlands and islands there were some
      different practices. As my father was English we had Christmas dinners and
      Christmas trees, but few of the neighbours did. Now Scotland has absorbed
      the English/American habits, but has retained the celebration of Hogmany - I
      am glad to say.
      Lang may your lum reek! ""

      Jimmie R     Eumundi, Qld., Oz.

      $20 FREE