[dundee-history] City Directories

  • Cb678@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 1999
      Does anyone know if there are city directories for Dundee about 1880 (or
      earlier) to search? I would guess that a library would carry them, but I
      don't have access to one and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Is
      there anything online anywhere...probably not. Any ideas would be
      appreciated.
      Thank you
      Carol
    • Ken Anton
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 1999
        Hello Carol,

        Yes, the "Dundee Directory" was published annually for about 100 years, up
        till 1968. The Local History section of the Central Library in the
        Wellgate, Dundee, has most volumes (on paper). They have an index of names
        or tradespeople, merchants, clerks, etc, and give in most cases their
        business and home addresses. Very useful for determining how long people
        lived at certain addresses and for narrowing down the search of census
        records.

        The library staff are quite helpful, and might do one or two lookups for
        you. Try the following website for contact info. : Dundee City Council :
        http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/

        Best Regards

        Ken Anton

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=dundee-history&m=1
      • wlonie@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 1999
          Carol,
          You can view a microfilm of the directories for 1876 and 1882 at your
          local LDS
          Family History Center. The order numbers are 0897044 and 1441022.
          Regards
          Bill

          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dundee-history/?start=379