[dundee-history] Additions to the Vault

  • Don McEwan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5 10:39 AM
      I have just up-loaded four 'Postcards' produced to commemorate WW2
      posters - Careless Talk; Journey (Is your journey really necessary?);
      Squander Bug and WAAF. Both my big sisters were in the Waafs - very few
      stories have been related to me, however!
      I bought these on a visit to Bletchley Park, near Milton Keynes, the
      site of the WW2 code breaking effort and some say one of the places
      computing got off the ground.

      It's a pity the files can't be listed by submission date, rather than
      alphabetically.

      This past week has seen (in the UK) a lot of historical TV and newspaper
      references to 3rd September 1939 - 'the day war broke out' - as a radio
      funnyman used to say.
      It is sobering to realise that a historical event took place during my
      lifetime - sobering for ME, anyway.! :o)

      What about some memories of these times from our members -"What did you
      do in the War, Daddy?" The local Primary school has been showing the
      pupils what happened when kids were evacuated - I came across a
      caterpillar of them with cardboard boxes suspended round their necks
      with strings. I remember the standard enquiry as one left the house -
      "(Have you) Got your Gas mask, got your torch?"

      A recent survey in the UK has discovered that very few school pupils
      know much about the Second World War - Primary schools cover mainly the
      'Home Front', apparently, and the Secondary schools seem to have been
      under the impression that it had all been covered by the Primaries, so
      they have done very little. Perhaps this is a time in History that
      people like us should be recording for our future descendants - an
      important time which affected everyone, not just Churchill and Hitler!
      :o)
      NOT that many kids new who THEY were.!! :o(

      A recent TV programme showed how poor the preparations were for the
      protection of the civilian population - not that they hadn't been
      warned.!
      As usual, the 'Powers that Be' had a very poor opinion of the
      'Hoi-Poloi' and suspected that the workers would skulk in the shelters,
      causing a reduction in the essential war effort.
      How many bombs fell on Dundee - I seem to remember one in Baxter Park
      and one tenement demolished in Lilybank Road - but I may be wrong - I
      was only wee!

      I was going to delete my previous uploads to the Vault as I have had no
      reaction to them, but I see the Web space still has 83% left so I will
      leave them the noo. :o)

      --
      Don McEwan
      West Lothian

      Jings, Crivvens & Help Ma Boab.!
      <mailto:don.mcewan@...>
    • Nathan C ornfoot
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5 3:48 PM
        Don,
        There was a stick of bombs dropped in the west-end. One of the bombs
        demolished a tenement in Rosefield St. I was about 15 at the time and was
        playing with a group of pals at the top of the street. The sirens sounded
        and we ran into a close and as we did the bomb went off. In another attack,
        a plane machinegunned the Nethergate in daylight. I don't think anyone was
        hurt in that one.
        Nat.