[dundee-history] Re: Photo of "Princes Street"

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12, 1999
      Hi all

      I am the culprit of the Princes Street photo. A friend bought a pile of old
      negatives at the Forfar Market one day and had some developed - including
      that one. It is indeed arbroath road, and must be my fault for labeling it
      Princes Street - my main interest was the fact that the research centre of
      Tay Valley FHS is just down the road [on Princes Street!!!!] - so yes Ken -
      you are indeed correct, Arbroath Road, just me labeling the thing wrongly!

      Oh, date, we put it at early to mid 1920's fromt he other negatives in the
      pile.

      Andrew

      A Ramsay Nicoll
      Email A.Nicoll@... ICQ 20024093
      WWW: www.dundee.ac.uk/~anicoll/
    • Grant E. L. Buttars
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 12, 1999
        Ken,

        Yes I agree, though I think you meant that it was taken from the window of a
        flat in Victoria Street and I would estimate a lower number than you think.
        This corner tenement was built, I have been told, by the Bank of Scotland
        (formerly the British Linen Bank) and included a two storey flat for the
        manager on the corner above the bank. It is now in a sad state of repair.
        It was scheduled for demolition for the eastern part of the ring road which
        at one time was to be built but this is not now going ahead.

        The first street on the right after the crossroads is Robertson Street and
        if I remember correctly, the industrial looking buildings there were some
        type of cleaners. I don't remember it in its entirity but the sign remained
        for many years on what was left of its perimeter walls after demolition. I
        think it may have said Munro??

        Baxter Park church survived until last year, when it was demolished to build
        a new block of flats. I know a number of locals who were horrified that
        this happened and that it wasn't converted into flats itself instead.

        I remember Glebelands being extended and renovated in the 1970s. I wasn't
        at that school but many friends were. Classes were moved temporarily down
        to a former RC primary in Lilybank Road, named ???. Quite a strange looking
        building it had a perimeter fence around the roof and I think there may have
        been a play area up there. It was demolished once Glebelands returned to
        its own site.

        As to the 'missing' tram cables in Arbroath Road, I'm sure that line was
        discontinued well before the rest of the tram network. There is an
        excellent video out on Dundee Trams which may mention this.

        Who uploaded this one? I'd be quite intrigued to find out its source.

        Grant Buttars
        (Dundee Scotland)
        http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~gbuttars/
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 1999
          Oh Andrew, be truthful you were just trying to keep us on our toes ;) Love
          all the photos in the Vault. Cheers Jani
        • Ken Anton
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 1999
            Thanks Andrew and Grant!

            Yes, Grant, I really meant that the photo was taken from the window at
            Victoria Street !!!

            The tenement on the corner was indeed above the bank, and next was the
            tenements in Victoria Street. Number 19 was above a gents' hairdresser, and
            a girl in my class at Glebelands lived there.

            I drove past that way last night and confirmed the scene, including the
            'ventilator' on the roof of Glebelands.

            I also remember the RC primary school, St. ??? (can't remember the name
            either). I left Glebelands in 1971, a couple of years before the
            refurbishment, and remember that my younger brother spent a year at St. X.

            Thanks, Andrew, for putting the photo in the Vault!

            Best Regards

            Ken Anton
          • NEIL DUNSMUIR
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 18, 1999
              please tell me why i am recieving all this e-mail about dundee history i
              think that your sending it to the wrong adress... do not send any more
              thankyou

            • Don McEwan
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 1999
                NEIL DUNSMUIR wrote:

                > please tell me why i am recieving all this e-mail about dundee history i
                > think that your sending it to the wrong adress... do not send any more
                > thankyou
                >
                > >From: "Ken Anton" <ken@...>
                > >To: <dundee-history@egroups.com>
                > >Subject: [dundee-history] Photo of "Princes Street"
                > >Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:32:20 +0100
                > >
                > >Hello Everyone.
                > >
                > >I've just had a look at the photos in The Vault on the dundee-history web
                > >pages at egroups. They are excellent, and it's spurred me on to look out
                > >some of my photos of Dundee and beg/borrow a scanner and get them on too.

                Don't see your name or address on this groups membership!
                Suggest you contact e-groups at the address shown at the bottom of all
                the messages - tell them to sort it.

                Incidentally - did you know your Shift Key isn't working? :o) :o)

                --
                Don McEwan
                Lothian

                Jings, Crivvens & Help Ma Boab.!