[dundee-history] Photo of "Princes Street"

  • Ken Anton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12 5:32 AM
      Hello Everyone.

      I've just had a look at the photos in The Vault on the dundee-history web
      pages at egroups. They are excellent, and it's spurred me on to look out
      some of my photos of Dundee and beg/borrow a scanner and get them on too.

      The reason for this email, however, is to query whether the one entitled
      "Princes Street" is actually that street.

      I may be wrong, but it looks like somewhere nearby.

      The photo looks east, along Arbroath Road, and the junction in the bottom
      right is Arbroath Road going east (to the top of the photo); Princes Street
      going south (right); Albert Street going north. and Victoria Street going
      west.

      The photo appears to have been taken from a second or third floor window of
      a tenement, at about 19 or 21 Princes St. This building is still standing,
      though derelict.

      The tram lines running left to right connected the Maryfield depot on Forfar
      Road, behind the Morgan Academy with the city centre (via Princes Street on
      the right). The lines running along Arbroath Road ran east, how far I don't
      know, as I was born in the post-tram era!

      The tenement building on the far right in still very much the same today,
      and is fully occupied. Behind the parked car is Robertson Street (I think),
      which leads down to Lilybank Road and Broughty Ferry Road (where my father
      had the Anchor Bar).

      The buildings next, on the right, have now gone.

      The picture has a sort of white triangle visible along Arbroath Road's
      righthand side. This marks the top of Lilybank Road, and turning down here
      one would have seen Glebelands School. The tenements on both sides of
      Lilybank Road and those on Arbroath Road were demolished in 1969 - 1971
      while I attended Glebelands. A welcome diversion from classes!. One of the
      roof ventilators of the school can just be seen as the 'pagoda-shaped' item
      on the roofline of the building hiding the view of the school.

      In the distance, Arbroath Road curves to the left. On the right were Eden
      Street and North Baffin Street, with the cinema at the bottom (demolished
      1968) - was it called The Regal?, and the steps down to South Bafffin
      Street.

      Out of sight on the left side of Arbroath Road on the curve were Baxter Park
      Church (demolished in the early 1980s) and then Baxter Park.

      Almost facing Lilybank Road on the south side of Arbroath Road, was Morgan
      Street on the left side. This had jute mills on both corners with Arbroath
      Road.

      Trying to put a date on the picture? I really don't know, but there are
      some clues: The buildings between Lilybank Road and Robertson street were
      already replaced by later tenements by the time I came to know this area, so
      I guess in the 1930s?

      Notably although there are overhead electricity wires for the trams on the
      Albert Street line, there appear to be none running along Arbroath Road.

      Also, the policemen are wearing the pointed helmets of the style still used
      in England, before the Scottish forces switched to the flat-topped caps.

      Well, that's as much as I can drag out of one photo! Please add/correct as
      you see fit.

      Best Regards

      Ken Anton
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 12 1:36 PM
        Hi all

        I am the culprit of the Princes Street photo. A friend bought a pile of old
        negatives at the Forfar Market one day and had some developed - including
        that one. It is indeed arbroath road, and must be my fault for labeling it
        Princes Street - my main interest was the fact that the research centre of
        Tay Valley FHS is just down the road [on Princes Street!!!!] - so yes Ken -
        you are indeed correct, Arbroath Road, just me labeling the thing wrongly!

        Oh, date, we put it at early to mid 1920's fromt he other negatives in the
        pile.

        Andrew

        A Ramsay Nicoll
        Email A.Nicoll@... ICQ 20024093
        WWW: www.dundee.ac.uk/~anicoll/
      • Grant E. L. Buttars
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12 1:48 PM
          Ken,

          Yes I agree, though I think you meant that it was taken from the window of a
          flat in Victoria Street and I would estimate a lower number than you think.
          This corner tenement was built, I have been told, by the Bank of Scotland
          (formerly the British Linen Bank) and included a two storey flat for the
          manager on the corner above the bank. It is now in a sad state of repair.
          It was scheduled for demolition for the eastern part of the ring road which
          at one time was to be built but this is not now going ahead.

          The first street on the right after the crossroads is Robertson Street and
          if I remember correctly, the industrial looking buildings there were some
          type of cleaners. I don't remember it in its entirity but the sign remained
          for many years on what was left of its perimeter walls after demolition. I
          think it may have said Munro??

          Baxter Park church survived until last year, when it was demolished to build
          a new block of flats. I know a number of locals who were horrified that
          this happened and that it wasn't converted into flats itself instead.

          I remember Glebelands being extended and renovated in the 1970s. I wasn't
          at that school but many friends were. Classes were moved temporarily down
          to a former RC primary in Lilybank Road, named ???. Quite a strange looking
          building it had a perimeter fence around the roof and I think there may have
          been a play area up there. It was demolished once Glebelands returned to
          its own site.

          As to the 'missing' tram cables in Arbroath Road, I'm sure that line was
          discontinued well before the rest of the tram network. There is an
          excellent video out on Dundee Trams which may mention this.

          Who uploaded this one? I'd be quite intrigued to find out its source.

          Grant Buttars
          (Dundee Scotland)
          http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~gbuttars/

        • JaniDart@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12 2:06 PM
            Oh Andrew, be truthful you were just trying to keep us on our toes ;) Love
            all the photos in the Vault. Cheers Jani
          • Ken Anton
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 13 1:09 AM
              Thanks Andrew and Grant!

              Yes, Grant, I really meant that the photo was taken from the window at
              Victoria Street !!!

              The tenement on the corner was indeed above the bank, and next was the
              tenements in Victoria Street. Number 19 was above a gents' hairdresser, and
              a girl in my class at Glebelands lived there.

              I drove past that way last night and confirmed the scene, including the
              'ventilator' on the roof of Glebelands.

              I also remember the RC primary school, St. ??? (can't remember the name
              either). I left Glebelands in 1971, a couple of years before the
              refurbishment, and remember that my younger brother spent a year at St. X.

              Thanks, Andrew, for putting the photo in the Vault!

              Best Regards

              Ken Anton
            • NEIL DUNSMUIR
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 1999
                please tell me why i am recieving all this e-mail about dundee history i
                think that your sending it to the wrong adress... do not send any more
                thankyou

              • Don McEwan
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 1999
                  NEIL DUNSMUIR wrote:

                  > please tell me why i am recieving all this e-mail about dundee history i
                  > think that your sending it to the wrong adress... do not send any more
                  > thankyou
                  >
                  > >From: "Ken Anton" <ken@...>
                  > >To: <dundee-history@egroups.com>
                  > >Subject: [dundee-history] Photo of "Princes Street"
                  > >Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:32:20 +0100
                  > >
                  > >Hello Everyone.
                  > >
                  > >I've just had a look at the photos in The Vault on the dundee-history web
                  > >pages at egroups. They are excellent, and it's spurred me on to look out
                  > >some of my photos of Dundee and beg/borrow a scanner and get them on too.

                  Don't see your name or address on this groups membership!
                  Suggest you contact e-groups at the address shown at the bottom of all
                  the messages - tell them to sort it.

                  Incidentally - did you know your Shift Key isn't working? :o) :o)

                  --
                  Don McEwan
                  Lothian

                  Jings, Crivvens & Help Ma Boab.!