[dundee-history] Re: Brown- Constable Street

  • JMryle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 1999
      In a message dated 2/21/99 5:32:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      jimjar@... writes:

      <<
      How's that for local gossip !! All courtesy of "Glimpses of Old and New
      Dundee" by AH Millar, published in 1925 by Malcolm G MacLeod, 183, Blackness
      road, price four shillings and sixpence.

      This book is a gold mine of local history and information about many street
      names, and local businesses, and business men.

      So too is The Municipal history of the Royal Burgh of Dundee, Published by
      Winteer, Duncan & Co Castle St in 1878. But more of that later. Full of
      Historical documents, manuscripts, and names, and even anecdotes !!!

      Jim robertson, Eumundi, Sunshine coast, Qld, Oz.

      Are these books that could be bought in the USA or if not, how could I get
      them? They sound very interesting.
      Norma Ryley

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/dundee-history
    • jimjar@ozemail.com.au
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 1999
        <2a883466.36d0c99-@...> wrote:
        Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/dundee-history/?start=30
        > In a message dated 2/21/99 5:32:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > jimjar@... writes:
        >
        > <<
        > How's that for local gossip !! All courtesy of "Glimpses of Old and New
        > Dundee" by AH Millar, published in 1925 by Malcolm G MacLeod, 183, Blackness
        > road, price four shillings and sixpence.
        >
        > This book is a gold mine of local history and information about many street
        > names, and local businesses, and business men.
        >
        > So too is The Municipal history of the Royal Burgh of Dundee, Published by
        > Winteer, Duncan & Co Castle St in 1878. But more of that later.

        > Are these books that could be bought in the USA or if not, how could I get
        > them? They sound very interesting.

        Sorry Norma, They are Collector's pieces, I doubt very much if even a good Library in the US would have copies. Happy to share bits & pieces from them and other books which have been accumulating for well over sixty or sevent years, since my Dad was researcing in the '20s !!

        I should remind everyone that the "Abertay Historical Society" has produced
        a good range of interesting Publications over the years, about Dundee , and it's Trades. Their Hon Publications Secy is at the City Archives Dundee.
        Maybe We should publish their List ?

        Will try to post excerpts from the Municipal history of Dundee periodically -
        trouble is - there is so much of potential interest.

        Norma, will promise to post a list of more up to date books, which Listers might have a reasonable chance of getting hold of out in the sticks!! Like in the US !!!! I live in the sticks of Queensland, but my best source of vintage Scots books is a bookseller in NSW, ex Crieff !!

        Cheers Jim R eumundi, Qld Oz

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/dundee-history
      • Don McEwan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 1999
          jimjar@... wrote:

          > <2a883466.36d0c99-@...> wrote:
          > Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/dundee-history/?start=30
          > > In a message dated 2/21/99 5:32:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > > jimjar@... writes:
          > >
          > > <<
          > > How's that for local gossip !! All courtesy of "Glimpses of Old and New
          > > Dundee" by AH Millar, published in 1925 by Malcolm G MacLeod, 183, Blackness
          > > road, price four shillings and sixpence.
          > >
          > > This book is a gold mine of local history and information about many street
          > > names, and local businesses, and business men.
          > >
          > > So too is The Municipal history of the Royal Burgh of Dundee, Published by
          > > Winteer, Duncan & Co Castle St in 1878. But more of that later.
          >
          > > Are these books that could be bought in the USA or if not, how could I get
          > > them? They sound very interesting.
          >
          > Sorry Norma, They are Collector's pieces, I doubt very much if even a good Library in the US would have copies. Happy to share bits & pieces from them and other books which have been accumulating for well over sixty or sevent years, since my Dad was researcing in the '20s !!
          >
          > I should remind everyone that the "Abertay Historical Society" has produced
          > a good range of interesting Publications over the years, about Dundee , and it's Trades. Their Hon Publications Secy is at the City Archives Dundee.
          > Maybe We should publish their List ?
          >
          > Will try to post excerpts from the Municipal history of Dundee periodically -
          > trouble is - there is so much of potential interest.
          >
          > Norma, will promise to post a list of more up to date books, which Listers might have a reasonable chance of getting hold of out in the sticks!! Like in the US !!!! I live in the sticks of Queensland, but my best source of vintage Scots books is a bookseller in NSW, ex Crieff !!
          >
          > Cheers Jim R eumundi, Qld Oz

          Yes, Jim, it would probably be useful to see the 'Abertay Hist.Socy.' list.
          And your 'modern' list.
          In the meantime - just scan ALL your books into your PC and post them to us
          all.!!!!!!! :o) :o)
          No rush - by the end of the week would be fine.!! :o)

          Thanks again -

          --
          Don McEwan
          Lothian

          Jings, Crivvens & Help Ma Boab.!
          <mailto:don.mcewan@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 1999
            In a message dated 2/22/99 6:21:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            jimjar@... writes:

            <<
            Norma, will promise to post a list of more up to date books, which Listers
            might have a reasonable chance of getting hold of out in the sticks!! Like in
            the US !!!! I live in the sticks of Queensland, but my best source of vintage
            Scots books is a bookseller in NSW, ex Crieff !!

            Cheers Jim R eumundi, Qld Oz

            That sounds like a great idea. Someone did that on the Ireland list; they
            wrote up a list of books that they felt would be good reading regarding the
            history of Ireland. I was able to buy some of them from our local Barnes and
            Noble, and Borders bookstores. That way, I was able to look them over first
            before buying.

            Best,
            Norma Ryley Massachusetts US

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/dundee-history