Dundee's first policewoman

  • Chris Longmuir
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17 9:42 AM

      As I recall there was a lively discussion on here some time ago about Jean Forsyth Thomson, Dundee’s first policewoman. So I wondered if any of you would be interested in the book launch of my new crime novel, The Death Game. This book was inspired by Mrs Thomson, but of course, my character Kirsty Campbell is totally fictitious. The book is set in 1919 Dundee, and my fictional Kirsty is Dundee’s first policewoman. If you are interested, the launch is at Waterstones, Dundee, on Thursday 19th June (this week) at 6.30 pm. I’d be delighted to see anyone who came along, and of course there will be nibbles and a wee glass of wine available.

    • Jenny Blain
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24 6:47 AM
        Hi Chris,
        Looks interesting - how did the launch go? Sorry that I couldn't be there, as I was in the middle of West Wales doing external examining for an MA programme...

        best regards,
        Jenny

        --
        Dr Jenny Blain
        jenny.blain@... or jenny@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 24 7:14 AM

          Hi Jenny,

          The launch went well, I talked a bit about the early policewomen and touched on Dundee’s own policewoman Mrs Jean Forsyth Thomson. We had a turnout of about 20 people, which was a lot less than my last book launch. But then, I was competing with football and lots of end of term events. Lesson learned – don’t hold a book launch in the last 2 weeks of term! I’m going to do the Dundee Literary Trail walk on Sunday. They’ve added my Dundee Crime Series for the Deep Sea chippie at the bottom of Perth Road – That’s where quite a few of my characters buy their fish suppers. I would have preferred The Howff, where the body was found in The Death Game, but James Robertson and Malcolm Archibald put their dibs on that location. Still, it should be fun.