[dundee-history] old mansion houses and villas of the area

  • Barbara Neish
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 3 4:22 PM

      A little further afield Edmund but perhaps of interest ?

      Barbara Neish

      Bermuda

      Law's Mansion - Monifieth, Scotland

      illustration of Laws Mansion

      Law's Mansion - Monifieth, Scotland

      Home of James Neish of Laws & Omachie (b.1809 d.1882)

      Purchased on August 16, 1850

      Sadly, Law’s Mansion was ‘blown up’ in exercises by the Army – in the 1960s

      James Neish of Laws & Omachie is a First Cousin to my old grandfather, Captain James Neish

      Father of James ::

      William Neish for whom ‘Neish Street’, Dundee was so named.

    • Jenny Blain
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 30, 2013
        I was talking recently to a sister-in-law who well remembers Busters bought from a stall in the Overgate. I don't - I do remember, though, a very excellent chip shop in the Overgate, where we bought pudding suppers on the way back to the High School from choir practice for the Christmas concert in St Mary's!
        Jenny

        On 29/10/2013 17:52, Edmund Raphael wrote:

        I've never hear of "Busters"
        The problem with the taste of anything from MOST fish and chip shops nowadays, is the deep-frying in anything but lard.
        However unhealthy, that was the best taste, whether you bought from The Deep Sea in the Nethergate or from the West End, King Street, Broughty Ferry.
        Does anyone remember "Polie Joe" who rant The Malta, at the corner of King Street and Grey Street? He used to repair cycles and radios but never smiled.

        --
        Dr Jenny Blain
        jenny.blain@... or jenny@...