Re: File - New Members welcome.doc

  • jimrob_009
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 3, 2013
      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Edmund Raphael" wrote:

      <SNIP>
      > Although I have been an absentee Dundonian for the last thirty six years, I keep an avid interest in the history of our city, my particular speciality being the old mansion houses and villas of the area and those who initially commissioned their building. The subsequent owners and ultimate fate of those fine properties reminds one of some of the characters, who were still walking our streets, fifty or sixty years ago.
      <SNIP>
      As an ardent Boy Scout, in the '39/43 period , I often went to one of these splendid mansions on the Broughty Ferry Road, fronting the river, owned by one T Lesley Smith - who was a County Commisioner in the Boy Scout Movement. He conducted "axemanship" lessons in amongst the trees, of his corner house, with the usual fairly extensive woods and gardens. Sadly I cannot recall the name of this Mansion !!

      Jimmie

    • Jenny Blain
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 30, 2013
        I was talking recently to a sister-in-law who well remembers Busters bought from a stall in the Overgate. I don't - I do remember, though, a very excellent chip shop in the Overgate, where we bought pudding suppers on the way back to the High School from choir practice for the Christmas concert in St Mary's!
        Jenny

        On 29/10/2013 17:52, Edmund Raphael wrote:

        I've never hear of "Busters"
        The problem with the taste of anything from MOST fish and chip shops nowadays, is the deep-frying in anything but lard.
        However unhealthy, that was the best taste, whether you bought from The Deep Sea in the Nethergate or from the West End, King Street, Broughty Ferry.
        Does anyone remember "Polie Joe" who rant The Malta, at the corner of King Street and Grey Street? He used to repair cycles and radios but never smiled.

        --
        Dr Jenny Blain
        jenny.blain@... or jenny@...