Railings in Nethergate

  • KENNETH ANTON
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
      Hello,

      I'm trying to help out a lady who has a photo of her father as a teenager, and she's trying to date it. If anyone can help, we'd be grateful.

      The picture was taken by a street photographer in the Nethergate in the early 1940s, opposite the top of Union Street. At the side of the photos, one can see the small garden in front of Dundee Parish Church (St Mary's), and there are railings on top of the wall adjoining the pavement.

      Now, the question - in what year were the railings round the church removed? If we can find out that, we can date the photo.

      Unfortunately there's no record in the city archives, and everyone I've spoken with was away in the forces at the time.

      So... over to the group here! Can anyone give an approximate date?

      Thanks

      Ken
    • Mary Watson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
        Probably removed for the war effort just like Dudhope park.  A source that some may forget to use is the McManus galleries staff, locla history section and indeed the local history section of the library.

        Mary Hannah Watson

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
          This would be my guess too - also a lot of house railings were removed
          at that time. I remember as a child asking why the wall of our front
          garden looked as it didand was told that the railings had been removed
          for the war effort. So this should be dateable.

          Jenny

          On 03/02/2013 14:31, Mary Watson wrote:

          > Probably removed for the war effort just like Dudhope park. A source
          > that some may forget to use is the McManus galleries staff, locla
          > history section and indeed the local history section of the library.

        • Ken Anton
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
            Hello

            Thanks for the responses. The lady I'm trying to help has already tried these sources, however no-one knows exactly which year, just "during the war". I was hoping that someone might have had a memory which would have guided us to a particular year.

            Best regards

            Ken

            This would be my guess too - also a lot of house railings were removed at that time. I remember as a child asking why the wall of our front garden looked as it didand was told that the railings had been removed for the war effort. So this should be dateable.

            Jenny

            On 03/02/2013 14:31, Mary Watson wrote:

            > Probably removed for the war effort just like Dudhope park. A source
            > that some may forget to use is the McManus galleries staff, locla
            > history section and indeed the local history section of the library.

          • jimrob_009
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
              --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, KENNETH ANTON wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I'm trying to help out a lady who has a photo of her father as a teenager, and she's trying to date it.
              >
              > Now, the question - in what year were the railings round the church removed? If we can find out that, we can date the photo.

              Hello Ken,

              I was at school, living at Forfar Road, at the time when all our cast iron railings were burned-0ff, and consigned, hopefully, to the blast furnaces in various steel works, as scrap feed. My guess would be that this was done in the 1941/42 period, long before the various schemes to gather scrap for the "Wings for Victory" efforts, which were more concerned with aluminium scrap. Sorry that I can't be more precise.

              Jimmie
            • Mary Watson
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2013
                Another way to find this out maybe the council minutes of the time, again museum/library/archives staff can help.

                Sent from my iPhone