Re: File - New Members welcome.doc

  • Edmund Raphael
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 2, 2013
      After several years of membership, I find Dundee History Society members to be almost disinterested in following up comments raised or suggested by the more ambitious, others.
      Surely there are members, who are still lucid enough to recount factual stories re. the jute industry, both in Dundee and in India, for an example? I am positive, that most members would be keen to hear such tales of our (Dundonians) links with India, which were recounted by family members and friends, thus stirring others to write in similar vein.
      Although I have been an absentee Dundonian for the last thirty six years, I keep an avid interest in the history of our city, my particular speciality being the old mansion houses and villas of the area and those who initially commissioned their building. The subsequent owners and ultimate fate of those fine properties reminds one of some of the characters, who were still walking our streets, fifty or sixty years ago.

      Might I invite a few of you for inspired memories, in a hope that others will be purged into puting pen to paper/finger to keyboard. We might well inject some enthusiasm into the society, causing a good deal more interaction between members, in the days after the first of each month.

      With my ever best wish to all.

      Edmund Raphael

      Might my suggestion
    • Jenny Blain
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 30, 2013
        I was talking recently to a sister-in-law who well remembers Busters bought from a stall in the Overgate. I don't - I do remember, though, a very excellent chip shop in the Overgate, where we bought pudding suppers on the way back to the High School from choir practice for the Christmas concert in St Mary's!
        Jenny

        On 29/10/2013 17:52, Edmund Raphael wrote:

        I've never hear of "Busters"
        The problem with the taste of anything from MOST fish and chip shops nowadays, is the deep-frying in anything but lard.
        However unhealthy, that was the best taste, whether you bought from The Deep Sea in the Nethergate or from the West End, King Street, Broughty Ferry.
        Does anyone remember "Polie Joe" who rant The Malta, at the corner of King Street and Grey Street? He used to repair cycles and radios but never smiled.

        --
        Dr Jenny Blain
        jenny.blain@... or jenny@...