RE: [dundee-history] India (Calcutta)

  • China King
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013

      Interesting. My g-grandfather Paterson also left Dundee for Montreal, but he stayed there….wonder if there was some reason Dundonians chose Montreal.

      Cheers,

      China King

      From: edmundraphael@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 16:57:18 +0000
      Subject: [dundee-history] India (Calcutta)

      I was very interested in Jimmie Robertson's contribution re. Dundonians going to work in India.

      Three of my uncles were in the Jute trade, all with Clive Jute Works. Two were brothers; one an engineer and the other was "office", as they said at that time. The frightful lack of permitted social contact between engineers and office, only illustrated the huge lack of education of so many of those Anglo-Indian chaps". This type of behaviour caused many family rifts and misery for the wives of the engineers.

      On their return home, the idiotic behaviour of thos who had become snobs (especially in Broughty Ferry) was quite ridiculous to behold. Many had saved little money but talked profusely about the number of servants they had. Some of the intended to be amusing stories, told by ex-Calcutta Dundonians, were quite unfunny, only illustrating the hideous vulgarity which many Indians had to endure.

      I am glad to know, that my father's connection with India came late in his life, when he decided to do what he had been trained for at the Caledon ship yard. He took a few years as a chief engineer with the Scindia Steamship Navigation Co., which transported raw jute to Dundee in rusting liberty ships. We were always invited to take lunch with the captains of these ships, when they docked at Dundee. The Indian officers were a delight, as were the Pakistani crew, who lined the rails, with welcoming smiles on their faces. These are my childhood memories, when anti-semetic comments were few.

      Perhaps someone will write about Indian Army officers. Does anyone remember characters such as Col. Harry Banks, who lived in Albany Terrace?

      Edmund Raphael

      No virus found in this message.

    • Pat Carson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2013

        And interesting to see another Paterson researcher! Would love to know your Paterson folk – happy to correspond off-list as this is genealogy, rather that history - if you prefer. Our Patersons connect to the surnames Orkney & Findlay, have roots on Montrose/Laurencekirk and at least two have landed in Canada (Calgary from one contact) via Dundee. And some ended up in Calcutta too!

        Pat

        "Here's tae us! Wha's like us? Damn few! - an' they're a' deid!" Old Scots Toast

        Check out my website www.genesontheweb.co.uk

        http://www.facebook.com/patcarsonp

        @patcarsonp (http://twitter.com/patcarsonp)

        http://www.facebook.com/groups/angusadamsons/