Re: [dundee-history] Introduction

  • Edmund Raphael
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
      Very warm welcome to your new post, which I think will be good for all concerned.

      Edmund Raphael
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 31, 2012
        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Jenny Blain <jenny.blain@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Just to introduce myself, I'm Jenny Blain; I was born and grew up in
        > Dundee though it's been a good while since I lived there,

        Welcome on board Jenny - It is many moons ago when I used to stay at Hatherstage, in a lovely pub, when visiting steelworks in Sheffield, in the 1960/70 period. United Steel, ESC, Sam Fox,were each developing, and Davy-United and Brightside were building the rolling mills for them.

        My Robertson Family wandered far and wide from Dundee - and I will ask Members to point their browsers at
        http://jimjar.net/ROBERTSON/RobertsonWanderings/index.html

        This sketches out our travels around India, the USA, Australia over the past 150 years or so. I hope the links works foro all.

        Jimmie
      • Malcolm Archibald
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2013
          Hi Jimmie

          Lovely site you have there! Thank you for sharing it with us all. Your family have certainly seen the world!

          Happy New Year

          Very best
          Malcolm
          www.malcolmarchibald.wordpress.com

          > Just to introduce myself, I'm Jenny Blain; I was born and grew up in
          > Dundee though it's been a good while since I lived there,

          Welcome on board Jenny - It is many moons ago when I used to stay at Hatherstage, in a lovely pub, when visiting steelworks in Sheffield, in the 1960/70 period. United Steel, ESC, Sam Fox,were each developing, and Davy-United and Brightside were building the rolling mills for them.

          My Robertson Family wandered far and wide from Dundee - and I will ask Members to point their browsers at
          http://jimjar.net/ROBERTSON/RobertsonWanderings/index.html

          This sketches out our travels around India, the USA, Australia over the past 150 years or so. I hope the links works foro all.

          Jimmie

        • Jenny Blain
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
            Thanks all for your welcome!
            Jimmie, I lived in Hathersage for a couple of years, before moving into the outskirts of Sheffield.

            Best regards,
            Jenny

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
              Thanks for the link Jimmie - I'm fascinated by the connections with India in the 19th century, to do with jute and its growing and processing.

              Best,

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 3, 2013
                Thanks Malcolm. What I write is mostly non-fiction (sociology) but I'm looking into the area between 'fact' and speculation, based in episodes from my own family history and the connections with landscape and local histories. I'll have to look out your work!

                Best,
                Jenny

                On 31/12/2012 08:09, Malcolm Archibald wrote:
                I write historical fact and fiction, with a slant toward Dundee, nautical and recently the crime side as well and I teach at Inverness College, University of the Highlands and Islands.

                Very best regards

                Malcolm