G L Wilson store

  • Michael Bolik
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 15, 2011
      Hi

      Group members might be interested in our new blog entry about G L Wilson's store "The Corner":

      http://www.archives-records-artefacts.com/

      At the bottom of the article is a link to some pages from G L Wilson Christmas catalogues. Just in case you miss it, here is the link:

      http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/glwilsonchristmascatalogues.htm

      One catalogue page is devoted to toy guns, soldiers etc - "Let your children fight their country's battles over again" and rather ominously it was from December 1914. We were wondering if any of the children found themselves, four years later, stuck in the middle of a real battle...

      Michael

      Michael Bolik
      Senior Assistant Archivist
      Archive Services
      University of Dundee
      Dundee DD1 4HN
      United Kingdom
      tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
      fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
      http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

      Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?

      The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096
    • Anne Ide
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 23, 2011
        My late aunt had a friend who worked in the gents' department of GL Wilson's.

        One market day, an elderly farmer came into the shop, looked at her doubtfully, then said gruffly,

        "See's a sicht o' yer drahers, lassie"

        It took a panic-stricken moment for the aforesaid assistant to realise she was being asked, not to display her lingerie, but to produce examples from the store's stock of long gents' underpants!

        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 23, 2011
          That must have been on Tuesday

          To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com