The Manor Reborn

  • Edmund
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2011
      I would like to draw the attention of our members to the new BBC television programme, "The Manor Reborn", featuring the refurbishment of "Avebury Manor," Wiltshire with Penelope Keith and Paul Martin. Through the centuries, Avebury has had a miscellany of colourful owners but he who is of particular interest to Dundonians, is Alexander Keiller, the last member of they who made marmalade. Keiller (1889-1955) lost his father when he was only nine years old and his mother died when he was seventeen, whilst he was still at Eton. He developed a very keen interest in archeology, exercising his curiosity in areas around Stonehenge and Avebury, Wiltshire.
      With inherited wealth of large proportion, he set about buying many acres of land, thus creating a deeply important, world heritage site. He was married four times but had no heir. Keiller sold part of his acres to the National Trust and his widow left the museum, which he had established, to the country.
      I hope that viewers of the programme will think of it in this most particular of ways.
      Tap in Alexander Keiller on Internet in order to be made aware of this man's fascinating life
      Edmund Raphael