Dundee Directories was: Whalers

  • bjswan81
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011
      Thanks so much for the link Edmund and Brian!

      There are Dundee directories on this site from about 1830 to 191x.
      They seems to list professional people and business/shop owners,
      but not all residents, but most list by name, and then by street.
      You can download in various versions - I suggest a searchable one.

      I did find a relative who was a police sergeant, and I used
      addresses from the census and checked out the "neighbors"
      of the other branches of the family.

      Now does anyone know where there is posted older maps,
      so I can see how the streets run?

      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Edmund Raphael" <edmundraphael@...> wrote:

      > Dear Members,
      >
      > I have no doubt that all of you will find of great interest and huge research value, the on-line Dundee Postal Directories (including Lochee, Broughty Ferry, Monifieth, Newport ) in most available copies.copies.

      . . .>
      > They are to be found on a www.nls.uk site but I tap in
      > Dundee Directory 1850, then choos Post office Directories from what is shewn. It was a quite by chance, very lucky find.
      > Edmund Raphael-Beldowski
    • Lair Behr
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011
        One I've used,

        has various years, various scales;
        but it is FREE and often useful.

        --- On Wed, 6/22/11, bjswan81 <BJSwan@...>

        Now does anyone know where there is posted older maps,
        so I can see how the streets run?
      • Alastair Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2011
          the dundee registers was a good find on internet archive, they also have forfar registers, and various other books for the county worth reading, angus & mearns directory 1846 & 47, brechin court records...... best place for online local archive documents is still scran though - http://www.scran.ac.uk/