Re: [dundee-history] Ninewells

  • jeatsax1@msn.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2010
      My granny raised me on the story of the dundee dragon and everything out of Nine wells had it s name origin based on that story. Charlotte from hill street now in arizona

      From: "joelpix" <joelpix@...>
      Sender: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:44:31 -0000
      To: <dundee-history@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [dundee-history] Ninewells

      Would anyone know the origin of the name of Ninewells Hospital?
      Thank You
      Joel

    • Ken Anton
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 23, 2010

        Hi,

        The area south of the current hospital site has been known as Ninewells for many years before the hospital was built.  There are a number of old cottages which presumably depended upon wells for their water supply prior to mains water arriving, so presumably the name originates from that.  I now live in a rural village where most of the old cottages had its own well at one time and the cottages in this are must have been the same.

        I remember from my childhood, prior to the hospital being built, the number 40 bus to Ninewells ran along the Perth Road and terminated near the bottom of Glamis Road .

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 23, 2010
          There were a couple of modest detached villas at Ninewells shown in the 1872 OS maps.  If you go to http://www.nls.uk/maps/townplans/dundee_2_west.html  and then click on the map section labelled 12.7 [and surrounding segments] you will see that Ninewells was a small patch centred at the south of the Perth Road, as Ken has already said.   I think that it is roughly where Ninewells Garage now operates.  Hazel Hall was a large estate that looks to have been on the site taken by the hospital.  But perhaps that would not have sounded so unique a name.
          Peter

          > Would anyone know the origin of the name of Ninewells Hospital?
          > Thank You
          > Joel

        • John G Duffus
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
            Ninewells hospital is indeed named after the area Ninewells.  One of my school teachers lived in Ninewells and had one of the wells in her garden.

            Charlotte you may be getting confused with Downfield area and Baldragon where its reported that a dragon killed nine maidens.

            Regards
            John

            At 23:24 22/07/2010, you wrote:

            My granny raised me on the story of the dundee dragon and everything out of Nine wells had it s name origin based on that story. Charlotte from hill street now in arizona

            Sent from my Verizon Wireless

          • john lowden
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
              I heard that it was a maiden that killed nine dragons,,,or maybe it was a 9 maidens that killed a dragon, the original count was 10 dragons and then the count went to nine ,well one went to loch ness,that ISA fact ,I was there in the well,with the other 8 and we saw no dragons,but found 9 maidens ,so why isn't it called the 8 maidens and 1 dragon hospital,or the one well,,that's more like a hospital name,,,I would hope that one is well after the hospital,visit,,,,,,all right just some food for fought.   Poops fraudulent slip food for thought,,,I know what I'm saying if you don't then you should be admitted to the 1 we'll maidens 1 dragon hospice in the mighty. Town of Dundee ,,on the famous river Tay,,

              there's miles of Golden sand,s
              along the silvery Tay
              And on the banks stands a town
              steeped in history
              Can we forget the over gate
              It was our biggest draw
              The brought beach
              The balgay hill
              The view from up the law

              Corus
              We are proud of our city proud of Bonnie Dundee
              It's had many a knock and came out on top
              With the bonnets of Bonnie Dundee
              We are known the world over
              Famous for products 3
              But to many a lonely rover
              It's home and always will be

              I won't bore you with the rest.  Thank you ,thank you thank you,,,gee the mun a ceeegar,,,lol

              Sent from IPAD...
              John Lowden
              How good are these ipads ,best invention since tv i reckon.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
                No not confused. Know the baldragon story very well. According to my granny the dragon ate the nine maidens at the area later known as ninewells because the farmer sent each of his nine daughters to draw water. I always thought he was a little slow on the uptake because he sent them out one by one and didn't check on things until the ninth never came back. He saw the dragon and chased it all the way to baldragon along strathm*rtine road which was so called later because the hilltown people lined the street and called out strick mertin strick for martin was his name. That was the original name per my granny. She got the story from her granny and told it so vividly that when I was a child I was convinced she was there when it happened because we lived next to hill street school and could see the hilltown clock from our tenement window. I'm a granny myself now and am thrilled to see my own children remembering the story passed to them from me and passing it on to their children here in arizona. Best charlotte. Ps well be in dundee next week and will be celebrating that memory

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
                  The farmer stayed at Pitempton which is not near Ninewells.

                  John

                • jeatsax1@msn.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 24, 2010
                    Well john thanks for the info. Y you may have facts but I'm so happy I had a granny who told me stories. All the best to you and yours. Charlotte

                    From: John G Duffus <jackieduffus@...>
                    Sender: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:16:11 +0100
                    To: <dundee-history@yahoogroups.com>

                    At 18:25 24/07/2010, you wrote:

                    >No not confused. Know the baldragon story very well. According to my
                    >granny the dragon ate the nine maidens at the area later known as
                    >ninewells because the farmer sent each of his nine daughters to draw
                    >water. I always thought he was a little slow on the uptake because
                    >he sent them out one by one and didn't check on things until the
                    >ninth never came back. He saw the dragon and chased it all the way
                    >to baldragon along strathm*rtine road which was so called later
                    >because the hilltown people lined the street and called out strick
                    >mertin strick for martin was his name. That was the original name
                    >per my granny. She got the story from her granny and told it so
                    >vividly that when I was a child I was convinced she was there when
                    >it happened because we lived next to hill street school and could
                    >see the hilltown clock from our tenement window. I'm a granny myself
                    >now and am thrilled to see my own children remembering the story
                    >passed to them from me and passing it on to their children here in
                    >arizona. Best charlotte. Ps well be in dundee next week and will be
                    >celebrating that memory

                  • Edmund Raphael
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 25, 2010
                      "Ninewells" I took for granted, as it used to be synonymous with the end of the westward tramway line and the excellent Blackness Nursery of James Lawrie, but this was sixty years ago.

                      Strange that there is a Ninewells at Chirnside, Murthly and Newburgh but nothing more than the name, with which all Dundonians are well acquainted, save it seems for the origin.

                      Just perhaps, we ought to invite Mr. Iain Flett, our City Archivist, for his informed knowledge on this subject. If he doesn't know, the speculation can only continue.

                      Edmund Raphael