Re: dance bands

  • fintry22nd
    Message 1 of 11 , May 9 2:22 PM
      Found this some names here may not be any use but you never know

      Formed in Perth, Scotland in 1964, the core of the Vikings revolved around Alan Gorrie (bass, vocals), Roy Fleming (guitar) and Dougie Wightman (guitar). Other early members were ousted in 1965 and were replaced by Drew Larg (vocals) and two ex-members of Dundee act the Syndicate, Mike Fraser (keyboards) and Donnie Coutts (drums). The realigned Vikings specialized in soul music and they became one of Central Scotland's most popular live attractions. In 1966 they were signed to Alp Records, owned by local impresario, Andy Lothian. For their sole single the Vikings recorded "Bad News Feeling", a Paul Simon composition. Its pop-styled arrangement was at odds with the group's musical preferences and following a brief foray in London, the Vikings broke up. Fraser joined another expatriate act, the Senate, before becoming a respected session musician in Italy, working with, among others, Ennio Morricone. Gorrie formed several groups, before finding international fame in the Average White Band
      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "sandrasmith1958" <sandrasmith1958@...> wrote:

      > looking for any info and or photo's of dance bands in dundee from 1930's to poss 1960's. also any info on bands who played at the Hubara in dundee.

    • fintry22nd
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9 2:30 PM
        Another 60s band in Dundee was the East coast Jazzmen
        1968 line-up was - Jimmy Wallace - Ron Elder - Dave Fimister - Andy Tully - Harry Morrison - Les Cameron - Dave Moodie

        Cheers Jim
        --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "sandrasmith1958" <sandrasmith1958@...> wrote:

        > looking for any info and or photo's of dance bands in dundee from 1930's to poss 1960's. also any info on bands who played at the Hubara in dundee.

      • Alastair Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , May 9 2:36 PM
                That's all intersting, from the videos i've seen, looks like there was quite a good music scene here in the 60s. I spend a lot of time tracing obscure 60s band members online, mostly American. Besides the likes of The Poets my knowledge of Scottish 60s bands is pretty thin, be good to hear more.

               My great grandfather, Peter Guthrie played accordian/squeeze box with other folks in Dundee in the 30s - 50s period. His gradfather was quite well known for it here in the 1880s - 1910 period. Few photos of him and accordian but absolutely no other names.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 9 3:12 PM
            some more Dundee bands from the 60s The Paladians", "Erle Blue Stars" and "Prohibition Pete".

            sorry no pictures

            Jim

            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "sandrasmith1958" <sandrasmith1958@...> wrote:

            > looking for any info and or photo's of dance bands in dundee from 1930's to poss 1960's. also any info on bands who played at the Hubara in dundee.

          • sandra smith
            Message 5 of 11 , May 9 3:17 PM
              Thanks everyone for all the info. The guy i'm looking for is a John Paterson from perth rd area. It seems his elder half sister owned the craigtay/hubara and that's were he played amongst other places. One was in perth. I was told where but the name escapes me at the moment. Another name was mentioned but it has escaped me at the moment.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 9 3:22 PM
                I'll have a look for photos during week...in an unrelated matter, one of those comments you usually hear when researching family, my grandafther married a helen patterson in dundee in 60s...doubt if it's related though.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 9 3:35 PM
                  they might not be related but i have a helen paterson born 1931 and died 2004. her parents were john f.paterson and agnes stewart bryson.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 9 3:40 PM
                    Interesting, I last spoke to Helen about 2001, she gave me all the old family photos and documents from my side of the family. I didn't really get to know her, it was my grandfathers second marriage.