Lost Houses of Dundee, Broughty Ferry & the periphery

  • Edmund Raphael
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010
      Dear Members,

      I wonder if one of you might have a photographic image of either of the following mansion houses, long since demolished.

      'ASHCLIFF' was a house commissioned by Sir George Baxter of Baxter Brothers and was sited in Perth Road, Dundee, opposite the Western Necropolis. It was demolished to make way for the Harris Academy.

      'HELENSLEA'  had its front entrance from Claypotts Road, diagonally opposite the main driveway to 'Ballinard'. Part of the mesuage was sold in order that Strathern Road could be contiued to meet Claypotts Road, in the late 1930s and lay empty for some years before being demolished.

      This is an interesting quest, as it is my understanding that not one of Scotland's eminent architectural historians has been able to find an image of either mansion.

      Do please contact me through the group or at edmundraphael@...

      Many thanks.

      Edmund Raphael