"The Voyages of the Discovery"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2009
      I recently discovered this splendid book in the lists of a rare book dealer in Adelaide in south australia. Written by Ann Savours, it was published by Chattam Publishing in 2001,  - ISBN 1 86176 149 X

      Having only just recently adopted the picture of the Dicovery to head up our web page - it was good to read all about the building of the ship by the Dundee Shipbuilding Company Ltd, Panmure Shipyard, Marine Parade, Dundee. It was launched by Lady Markham in March 1901. Sir Clements Markham, 1830-1916, initiated the National Antartic Expedition of 1901-1904.

      I am sure that this book will be locally available in Dundee, but some of us more distant, may be able to borrow it via the inter Library scheme
      I found it a great read - discovery had a remarkable career, even spending some years in the service of the Hudson Bay Company.

      Jimmie