Re: Mystery pictures - more identified

  • edmundraphael
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2009
      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "gray1720" <adrian.gray@...> wrote:

      > I've named those photos that I have a good ID for now. Having had time to check, I can also confirm Edmund's suggestion that the tower house might be Earlshall at Leuchars. Someone has taken a photo from almost exactly the same viewpoint, here:
      >
      > http://leuchars.org.uk/photo.php?id=85&theme=
      >
      > In fact, they have several photos taken from very similar positions, which mean that I can identify the gatehouse as well, from both sides and a number of garden photos. That's quite a result!
      >
      > I've also found a near-identical picture to one I've already posted which is labelled "The Lodge Lornty", so another one ID'ed. It seems that Lornty House is now the home of a windpower firm - does anyone know anything about its hitory?
      >
      > Adrian

      Lornty (Blairgowrie 1 mile) Owner John Grimond County Directory of Scotland 1912 Ed R-B
    • gray1720
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 20, 2009
        I've now uploaded three more - Garden with enormous vase (for pedants, I know it's not a vase, but it looks a bit like one, and I'm not sure what else to call it), which is another view of one I posted earlier, and two called Yet another baronial pile. This one looks, on the original scan, to have a date of 1891 above one of the windows at the top left -is that a clue?

        I think I'm getting near the end of mystery ones - your help is very much appreciated, and I hope they are of interest.

        Adrian
      • gray1720
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2009
          Another two identified - not really in the Dundee area, though, as they turn out to be of Balmoral.

          Do take a look - you never know what you might spot!

          Adrian