More mystery pictures

  • gray1720
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 17, 2009
      Two more just uploaded. I don't think they are the same house, but I could be wrong. Something that gothically monstrous should be easy for someone... shouldn't it?

      Adrian
    • gray1720
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 17, 2009
        And a few more - some almost certainly impossible, one very easy. I'm sure it's the church on the main street in Broughty Ferry, now a curry house, but I can't remember what the dedication was. I'm also not sure where it was taken from - it must be up by Carbet Castle, but I've no photos showing crenellations.

        Jimmie,

        Delighted to see the Discovery where she now proudly sails! My great-grandfather was a merchant mariner and seeing how men lived on board ship, at Discovery Point, was second only to seeing his grave when I took my Mum there last year.

        Adrian
      • scotia51us
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 17, 2009
          The church is/was St Lukes on Queen Street in the Ferry just across from the post office.
          --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "gray1720" <adrian.gray@...> wrote:

          > And a few more - some almost certainly impossible, one very easy. I'm sure it's the church on the main street in Broughty Ferry, now a curry house, but I can't remember what the dedication was. I'm also not sure where it was taken from - it must be up by Carbet Castle, but I've no photos showing crenellations.
          >
          > Jimmie,
          >
          > Delighted to see the Discovery where she now proudly sails! My great-grandfather was a merchant mariner and seeing how men lived on board ship, at Discovery Point, was second only to seeing his grave when I took my Mum there last year.
          >
          > Adrian

        • Ken Anton
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 17, 2009
            Hi,

            I think it stopped being a church in the 1960s and was a church hall for a
            few years.

            I remember in the late 1960s or very early 1970s that it was converted to a
            Masonic hall. The downstairs pews had been removed before then, and a
            number of internal partitions were erected.

            I can't remember when it was converted again - it's now the Gulistan
            tandoori restaurant on the ground floor and a snooker club on the first
            floor. It's quite a good restaurant too.

            K.

            The church is/was St Lukes on Queen Street in the Ferry just across from the
            post office.

            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "gray1720" <adrian.gray@...> wrote:

            > And a few more - some almost certainly impossible, one very easy. I'm sure
            it's the church on the main street in Broughty Ferry, now a curry house, but
            I can't remember what the dedication was. I'm also not sure where it was
            taken from - it must be up by Carbet Castle, but I've no photos showing
            crenellations.
          • edmundraphael
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009
              --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "gray1720" <adrian.gray@...> wrote:

              > I've added some mystery pictures to my photo folder, called "Anyne recognise these?", in addition to the two already in there, and I'd appreciate some help with identifying them. All come from a photo album I'm scanning and I'm reasonably sure that they are in Scotland and the Tay Valley area.
              >
              > Village cross - would like to know the village.
              >
              > Unidentified baronial pile - says it all, really. Someone must recognise a house that big!
              >
              > Poss Glamis - a garden with a castle in the distance. Might be Glamis, might not.
              >
              > Submarine C19 - she was stationed at Dundee prior to WW1, does anyone recognise the background?
              >
              > Garden gates - should be pretty distinctive
              >
              > Garden again - another garden, are that vase and little pavilion clues?
              >
              > Car - a bit of a long shot, but does anyone recognise the house behind?
              >
              > Hope someone can help!
              >
              > Many thanks,
              >
              > Adrian

              As I have told Adrian, the car outside Grosvenor Terrace is a 1912 Lanchester 25, built by Frederick Lanchester, the best of the three brother car builders. Note that the engine is between the front seats and, therefore, there is no bonnet.
              Church is Queen Street Church, which amalgamated with St. Lukes around around 1955. I have an article about this.
              Interesting castle and topiary. Might it be Earlshall, Leuchars? Just a guess. Ed R-B
            • gray1720
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 18, 2009
                Ed,

                Not sure about the rest of the castle - I need a proper look when I have time (ha ha), but if you look here:
                http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/scot/dundee05/dund0029.html
                what I identified as a coachouse is actually the gatehouse to earlshall. Well spotted!