Mill Query

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2009
      Please could someone remind me what the local term for the mill 'hooter' was. I know that I know it but very annoyingly, the word just will not come to mind.
      Thank you
      Lisa McSweeney
    • Alistair Macdonald
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2009
        Bummer
        > Please could someone remind me what the local term for the mill 'hooter'
        > was. I know that I know it but very annoyingly, the word just will not
        > come to mind.
        > Thank you
        > Lisa McSweeney

      • David Perks
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22, 2009
          Lisa, the mill hooter was also called the Bummer. I n some cases it was a steam whistle that sounded first thing in the morning then at twelve o clock noon the again at one o clock and again at five o clock. The first one usually eight o clock am was to tell the workers it was time to start work. The second was to tell them it was time to go to lunch (Dener Time) The next one was to tell them that it was time to return after lunch. the last one was the end of work for the day.

          Dave Perks

          To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2009
            Thank you, Alastair and David and also Ed. As soon as I heard it I remembered. I will use it in the story I'm currently working on.