Re: [dundee-history] Gray - was Re: Does anyone recognise this house or these railings?

  • David Maxwell
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2008

      Hello Harriet,

      I wish I could help but a quick search as I’m sure you have done reveals many Alexander Gray’s.

      I do not know Kirkden but it has to be great place to visit!

      Kirkden

      "The parish is 7 miles from east to west and its breadth does not exceed 2 miles. At one part, within a mile east of the church, it does not exceed a stone-cast in width. It is bounded by Rescobie, Guthrie, Carmylie, Kinnell, Inverkeillor and Dunnichen. The prevailing wind is from the east, which, during the months of spring, carries dense aqueous vapours, here termed eastern haars, exhaled from the German Ocean. There are two excellent freestone quarries. Poaching is practised to some extent, but smuggling is now entirely abandoned. The parish contains about 789 manufacturing operatives, employed in spinning flax and weaving Osnaburg cloth, 2/3 of whom are females, and of these nearly 4/5 are weavers on the hand loom. The market towns of Arbroath and Forfar are each 5 miles from the parish. The nearest post offices are there. Application was made to Government a few months ago to establish a letter carrier between Arbroath & Forfar via Letham but this was rejected. A person has, on his own account, made a very good livelihood by undertaking the post between Forfar and Letham. There are 6 ale houses in the parish." (edited from The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Angus, 1840)

      Best wishes

      David

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
        Adrian,
        Thank you for responding.  Unfortunately, there appears no Gray family connection. My Gray family remained in the area of Letham and Arbroath where his daughters were employed as linen weavers and he a quarrier.

        Also, thank you to David for sending the 1840 stastical account of Kirkden.  This account indicates the area employed many women as linen weavers and, according to my family history, this trade still existed at the time of Alexandar Gray's daughter Margaret's death in 1895. (I will add this information to my Alexander Gray record).

        In 2007 we were in Scotland and spent several days visiting this area.  We included a visit to the Registry in Edinburgh and the Angus Archive in Forfar.  We were unsuccessful locating the St. Andrew 1780 birth information for James Bayne (my husband's ggggrandfather).

        Harriet Brewer

        <robroy96@.. .> wrote:

        > As a member of Tay Valley Society I received a copy of the
        attached. My interest is in your Gray surname. Might you have a
        family connection to Alexander Gray born abt. 1796 in Kirkden,
        Forfarshire? His daughter Margaret Gray was my husband's
        gggrandmother. This family residence was in Dunnichen Parish, Letham
        during the 1800s.
        > Harriet Larson Brewer

      • Alastair Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2008
          I did a lot of family history research a few years ago, I'm in Dundee, all my family are local as far back as i could get in records (guthrie, donald, alexander, cargill, smith....) mostly around the arbroath and forfar areas, but some came to dundee for work at times.
          You can search all Edinburgh bd&m records online, it's pay per view, but it still works out a lot cheaper than a visit, check -

          Once you start to build a picture of where your family are, it gets easier to search these records through elimination (especially with a place like Kirkden). You should be able to pick up any Grays in the 19th cent. Prior to 1855 the parish records are definately a good source, some in Forfar, most in Edinburgh. Amazing what they recorded and some of the ministers took their own census'.

          There were a few Gray/Grey families round Arbroath, we have an unknown Gray buried in a Donald family plot around 1900 in Arbroath, never got round to working out the connection.

          I gave up on research, think I got it all, but I built up a massive collection of old county related images, letters and stuff I put on a disc. I occassionaly put it on ebay but you can have a copy if you want.