Re: Cludgie derivation

  • Robin Fosdal
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
      I remember, at school, offering the word "cludge" as an example of
      onomatopoeia. Needless to say, I got the strap.

      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Marshall"
      <tis_peter@...> wrote:

      > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:dundee-history@yahoogroups.com> , Lair Behr <danifax@>
      > wrote:>
      > > OK, so how did the term "cludgie" derive?
      > >
      > Having started this strand, I guess I had better finish it.
      >

      > DSL - SNDS CLUDGIE, n. A slang term for a water-closet (Fif.,
      Edb.,
      > wm.Sc. 1975).
      > [Deformation of closet, poss. conflated with lodge.]
      given in
      > The Dictionary of the Scots Language [DSL] and Scottish National
      > Dictionary Supplement [SNDS] which were recently electronically linked
      > through Dundee University and can be found at
      > http://www.dsl.ac.uk/ <http://www.dsl.ac.uk/>
      >

      > This indicates Fife, Edinburgh and West Central Scotland sources.
      > However, it is not surprising that Dundee is not mentioned for the
      > following reason. Frustratingly, it was only in the 2005 supplement
      > that the DSL organisers started to note Dundee as an independent
      > geographical location! As they put it :"have added Dundee to the list
      > of geographical labels, in view of the distinctive character of the
      > Scots of that city" - better late than never, I suppose. Even so, I
      > think that calling it slang is probably a bit rich, since it was
      > obviously mainstream language for some.
      >
      > My source was my father-in-law, who was sibling to the unfortunate child
      > whom he was told had 'drowned in the cludgie' where he was born in
      > Dallfield Walk. He spent his youth in Westhall Place in Craigie, then
      > his married life in Menzieshill.
      >
      > Peter

    • Michael Bolik
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 15, 2011
        Hi

        Group members might be interested in our new blog entry about G L Wilson's store "The Corner":

        http://www.archives-records-artefacts.com/

        At the bottom of the article is a link to some pages from G L Wilson Christmas catalogues. Just in case you miss it, here is the link:

        http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/glwilsonchristmascatalogues.htm

        One catalogue page is devoted to toy guns, soldiers etc - "Let your children fight their country's battles over again" and rather ominously it was from December 1914. We were wondering if any of the children found themselves, four years later, stuck in the middle of a real battle...

        Michael

        Michael Bolik
        Senior Assistant Archivist
        Archive Services
        University of Dundee
        Dundee DD1 4HN
        United Kingdom
        tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
        fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
        http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

        Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?

        The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096
      • Anne Ide
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 23, 2011
          My late aunt had a friend who worked in the gents' department of GL Wilson's.

          One market day, an elderly farmer came into the shop, looked at her doubtfully, then said gruffly,

          "See's a sicht o' yer drahers, lassie"

          It took a panic-stricken moment for the aforesaid assistant to realise she was being asked, not to display her lingerie, but to produce examples from the store's stock of long gents' underpants!

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 23, 2011
            That must have been on Tuesday

            To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com