RE: [dundee-history] Cludgie

  • Charlotte Juarez
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
      Now here I am after reading these enlightening emails trying to recall all the names I've heard that place of great relief called -- how about the "bog"?  In the trains (remember the joy of riding in one with a corridor) that had a W.C. -- (my Granny told me stories all my life and when I first saw this I knew my letters and how to spell, and wondered what Winston Churchill had to do with it).  And can "cludge" be any worse that here in America where grown and men and women talk about "little girls/boys room" - makes you wonder what they do in there. Best to all/Charlotte

      To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
      From: banjo046@...
      Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:03:00 +0000
      Subject: RE: [dundee-history] Cludgie

      The word cludgie is not used in Dundee, but is used in Glasgow and it is a
      drain in the street. In Dundee this is called a Cundy. The name for the
      toilet inside or outside is the Lavy. Pronounced Lah vy.
      Dave

      From: "parkneuk1940" <genehunter@hotmail. co.uk>
      To: dundee-history@ yahoogroups. com
      Subject: [dundee-history] Cludgie
      Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:21:49 -0000

      A cludgie is a toilet, outside in days gone by, with neatly cut
      newspaper on a string, if you were lucky.

      Kathleen.

      --- In dundee-history@ yahoogroups. com, "knowlesdavina"
      <knowlesdavina@ ...> wrote:
      > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open
      > drain or sewer?
      > Ina

      Now you can invite friends from Facebook and other groups to join you on Windows Live™ Messenger. Add them now!
    • Lair Behr
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
        OK, so how did the term "cludgie" derive?
      • Peter Marshall
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008

          --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Lair Behr <danifax@...> wrote:>

          > OK, so how did the term "cludgie" derive?

          Having started this strand, I guess I had better finish it.

           DSL - SNDS      CLUDGIE , n. A slang term for a water-closet (Fif., Edb., wm.Sc. 1975).
               [Deformation of closet, poss. conflated with lodge.]         given in       The Dictionary of the Scots Language [DSL] and Scottish National Dictionary Supplement [SNDS] which were recently electronically linked through Dundee University and can be found at
          http://www.dsl.ac.uk/

          This indicates Fife, Edinburgh and West Central Scotland sources.  However, it is not surprising that Dundee is not mentioned for the following reason.   Frustratingly, it was only in the 2005 supplement that the DSL organisers started to note Dundee as an independent geographical location!   As they put it :"have added Dundee to the list of geographical labels, in view of the distinctive character of the Scots of that city"  - better late than never, I suppose.     Even so, I think that calling it slang is probably a bit rich, since it was obviously mainstream language for some.

          My source was my father-in-law, who was sibling to the unfortunate child whom he was told had 'drowned in the cludgie' where he was born in Dallfield Walk.  He spent his youth in Westhall Place in Craigie, then his married life in Menzieshill.

          Peter

        • Robin Fosdal
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
            I remember, at school, offering the word "cludge" as an example of
            onomatopoeia. Needless to say, I got the strap.

            --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Marshall"
            <tis_peter@...> wrote:

            > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:dundee-history@yahoogroups.com> , Lair Behr <danifax@>
            > wrote:>
            > > OK, so how did the term "cludgie" derive?
            > >
            > Having started this strand, I guess I had better finish it.
            >

            > DSL - SNDS CLUDGIE, n. A slang term for a water-closet (Fif.,
            Edb.,
            > wm.Sc. 1975).
            > [Deformation of closet, poss. conflated with lodge.]
            given in
            > The Dictionary of the Scots Language [DSL] and Scottish National
            > Dictionary Supplement [SNDS] which were recently electronically linked
            > through Dundee University and can be found at
            > http://www.dsl.ac.uk/ <http://www.dsl.ac.uk/>
            >

            > This indicates Fife, Edinburgh and West Central Scotland sources.
            > However, it is not surprising that Dundee is not mentioned for the
            > following reason. Frustratingly, it was only in the 2005 supplement
            > that the DSL organisers started to note Dundee as an independent
            > geographical location! As they put it :"have added Dundee to the list
            > of geographical labels, in view of the distinctive character of the
            > Scots of that city" - better late than never, I suppose. Even so, I
            > think that calling it slang is probably a bit rich, since it was
            > obviously mainstream language for some.
            >
            > My source was my father-in-law, who was sibling to the unfortunate child
            > whom he was told had 'drowned in the cludgie' where he was born in
            > Dallfield Walk. He spent his youth in Westhall Place in Craigie, then
            > his married life in Menzieshill.
            >
            > Peter

          • Michael Bolik
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 15, 2011
              Hi

              Group members might be interested in our new blog entry about G L Wilson's store "The Corner":

              http://www.archives-records-artefacts.com/

              At the bottom of the article is a link to some pages from G L Wilson Christmas catalogues. Just in case you miss it, here is the link:

              http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/glwilsonchristmascatalogues.htm

              One catalogue page is devoted to toy guns, soldiers etc - "Let your children fight their country's battles over again" and rather ominously it was from December 1914. We were wondering if any of the children found themselves, four years later, stuck in the middle of a real battle...

              Michael

              Michael Bolik
              Senior Assistant Archivist
              Archive Services
              University of Dundee
              Dundee DD1 4HN
              United Kingdom
              tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
              fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
              http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

              Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?

              The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096
            • Anne Ide
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 23, 2011
                My late aunt had a friend who worked in the gents' department of GL Wilson's.

                One market day, an elderly farmer came into the shop, looked at her doubtfully, then said gruffly,

                "See's a sicht o' yer drahers, lassie"

                It took a panic-stricken moment for the aforesaid assistant to realise she was being asked, not to display her lingerie, but to produce examples from the store's stock of long gents' underpants!

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 23, 2011
                  That must have been on Tuesday

                  To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com