Re: [dundee-history] Dallfield Walk drowning

  • Michael Bolik
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 2, 2008
      Dear Peter

      This is an interesting question. Dallfield Walk no longer exists. Apparently it was off Dudhope Street - so probably it was destroyed when the multi-storey blocks at the bottom of the Hilltown were built.

      I had a look at some Dundee Directories from that period. Although we have the one for 1923-24 there are no names given for the lower numbers. Nor in other directories from that period - though in 1926-27 the occupant of no. 3 was one Henry Bruce, a broker.

      All we have in our own collection that refers to Dallfield is:

      "Miscellaneous writs mainly relating to lands of Dallfield and lands in Hilltown, Dundee belonging to the Stirling family. 1760-1820."

      Probably best if you contact the Dundee City Archives and the Local History Centre - their web addresses:

      http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/archive/

      http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/centlib/loc_stud.htm

      Michael

      Michael Bolik
      Assistant Archivist
      Archive Services
      University of Dundee
      Dundee DD1 4HN
      tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
      fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
      www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

      >>> "Peter Marshall" <tis_peter@...> 02/06/2008 12:42 >>>
      In 1923, a child of 11 months who lived at 4 Dallfield Walk died
      of `asphyxia' at number 3. Family lore says he `fell in the cludgie
      and drowned'.
      I am trying to find out a bit about Dallfield Walk.
      Is there anyone who can tell what it was like there? I guess that it
      was the kind of place where there would be a close community formed?

      I have looked at the one dundeecity `photopolis' picture at
      http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/centlib/photopolis/Archives7.htm
      but cannot be sure where this was taken from. Is it from near the top,
      looking downhill at the backs of the side nearer Hilltown [east side]?
      I am especially interested in the low numbers around 3 and 4. Were
      they at the bottom end? And were they next to one another or on
      opposite sides in the 1920s?

      If anyone has memories or pictures of life in Dallfield Walk, I would
      be delighted to hear.
      Thanks
      Peter Marshall

      The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096
    • David Perks
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 2, 2008
        From: "Michael Bolik" <m.d.bolik@...>
        To: <dundee-history@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [dundee-history] Dallfield Walk drowning
        Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:30:58 +0100

        Dear Peter

        This is an interesting question. Dallfield Walk no longer exists. Apparently
        it was off Dudhope Street - so probably it was destroyed when the
        multi-storey blocks at the bottom of the Hilltown were built.

        I had a look at some Dundee Directories from that period. Although we have
        the one for 1923-24 there are no names given for the lower numbers. Nor in
        other directories from that period - though in 1926-27 the occupant of no. 3
        was one Henry Bruce, a broker.

        All we have in our own collection that refers to Dallfield is:

        "Miscellaneous writs mainly relating to lands of Dallfield and lands in
        Hilltown, Dundee belonging to the Stirling family. 1760-1820."

        Probably best if you contact the Dundee City Archives and the Local History
        Centre - their web addresses:

        http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/archive/

        http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/centlib/loc_stud.htm

        Michael

        Michael Bolik
        Assistant Archivist
        Archive Services
        University of Dundee
        Dundee DD1 4HN
        tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
        fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
        www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

        >>> "Peter Marshall" <tis_peter@...> 02/06/2008 12:42 >>>
        In 1923, a child of 11 months who lived at 4 Dallfield Walk died
        of `asphyxia' at number 3. Family lore says he `fell in the cludgie
        and drowned'.
        I am trying to find out a bit about Dallfield Walk.
        Is there anyone who can tell what it was like there? I guess that it
        was the kind of place where there would be a close community formed?

        I have looked at the one dundeecity `photopolis' picture at
        http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/centlib/photopolis/Archives7.htm
        but cannot be sure where this was taken from. Is it from near the top,
        looking downhill at the backs of the side nearer Hilltown [east side]?
        I am especially interested in the low numbers around 3 and 4. Were
        they at the bottom end? And were they next to one another or on
        opposite sides in the 1920s?

        If anyone has memories or pictures of life in Dallfield Walk, I would
        be delighted to hear.
        Thanks
        Peter Marshall

        The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096
      • Peter Marshall
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 3, 2008
          Michael
          Thanks for all the checking you have done.
          I am fascinated that you find Henry Bruce of 3 Dallfield Walk listed
          as a 'Broker' in 1926-7. He was grandfather to the unfortunate
          toddler and had been living there from before 1914 to his death in
          1945. Henry was variously shown in documents as a Jute Batcher
          [1903, 1945] or a Dock Labourer [1914, 1937], so I am surprised at
          this 'Broker' occupation. It seems odd. I wonder what he was
          brokering?
          Or perhaps that is a question best not asked!

          Thanks again
          Peter

        • David Perks
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 3, 2008
            Anyone selling second hand goods was called a broker. In 1945 the store was
            used for selling second hand goods. In fact I can remember buying an oil
            lamp there. Unfortunately I can not remember who actually sold to me.
            Dave

          • David Perks
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 3, 2008
              Peter, I should have mentioned that number 3 dallfied Walk was demolished in
              the late 1960s.
              Dave
            • Peter Marshall
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 3, 2008
                Dave
                Was it just the one shop there?
                A full depth shop, or just a converted 'front room'?
                Was it right at the bottom of Dallfield Walk where it met Dudhope
                Street?
                Any memories of the general area would be greatly appreciated too.
                Thanks
                Peter

              • David Perks
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Peter there was just the one shop. Number one had been demolished long
                  before my time. Number 3 was a full sized shop which was part of the two
                  story tenement building. Up until the late 1940s very few people moved house
                  because there were very few houses other than condemed properties to move
                  to. The service men coming home from the war had no houses to go to so they
                  Squated in the old condemed properties. These condemed houses had no water,
                  no electric or gas therfor no toilet facilities. Primus stoves were used for
                  cooking and candles and oil lamps for ilumination. When one partner left the
                  house the other had to stay home for fear that if the house was unoccupied
                  another family would move in and there was no way to reclaim the house. The
                  house factors were making a killing at this time by charging new tenants who
                  were lucky enough to find an uncondemed house to rent. Bribery was rife at
                  this time. I could go on and tell you lots of stories about the life of the
                  people living in Dundee, but I would probably be censured. If you want more
                  info. you may contact me at banjo046@...
                  Cheers Dave

                  "David Perks" <banjo046@...> wrote:
> [...]
                  `asphyxia' at number 3. Family lore says he `fell in the cludgie and
                  drowned'.
                  > > I am trying to find out a bit about Dallfield Walk.
                  Is there anyone who can tell what it was like there? I guess that
                  it was the kind of place where there would be a close community
                  formed?
                  > > > I have looked at the one dundeecity `photopolis' picture at
                  > http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/centlib/photopolis/Archives7.htm but
                  > cannot be sure where this was taken from. Is it from near the top,
                  > looking downhill at the backs of the side nearer Hilltown [east
                  > side]?
                  >I am especially interested in the low numbers around 3 and 4. Were
                  >they at the bottom end? And were they next to one another or on
                  opposite sides in the 1920s?

                  > > If anyone has memories or pictures of life in Dallfield Walk, I

                • knowlesdavina
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
                    --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "David Perks" <banjo046@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > drowned'.
                    > > > I am trying to find out a bit about Dallfield Walk.
                    > Is there anyone who can tell what it was like there? I guess
                    that
                    > it was the kind of place where there would be a close community
                    > formed?
                    > > http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/centlib/photopolis/Archives7.htm
                    but
                    > > cannot be sure where this was taken from. Is it from near the
                    top,
                    > > looking downhill at the backs of the side nearer Hilltown [east
                    > > side]?
                    > >I am especially interested in the low numbers around 3 and 4.
                    Were
                    > >they at the bottom end? And were they next to one another or on
                    > opposite sides in the 1920s?
                    > > >
                    > > > If anyone has memories or picture of life in Dallfield Walk,

                    truth should never be censured Dave print and be -----
                    . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open
                    drain or sewer?
                    Ina
                    ?

                  • parkneuk1940
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
                      A cludgie is a toilet, outside in days gone by, with neatly cut
                      newspaper on a string, if you were lucky.

                      Kathleen.

                      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "knowlesdavina"
                      <knowlesdavina@...> wrote:
                      > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open
                      > drain or sewer?
                      > Ina
                    • Charlotte Juarez
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
                        Story about newspapers in "cludges" -- we were "toffs" in the little tenement at the foot of Hill Street (#7), right next to Hill Street School and above the sweetie shop because we had an indoor toilet and used both kinds of "toilet paper".  We were moved out to Symers Street, St Mary's, during the era of building the multi stories.  In 1965 I met (and married) a lad from the US Navy at Edzell.  The first night he stayed with us in courting days he came to me and asked, very shyly, about the squares of newspaper in the toilet (my Granny laid ours out without a string).  "Charlotte," he asked me, "I just have to ask a question.  How come your Granny saves big newspaper clippings in the toilet?  I tried reading them.  Some had interesting stories, most didn't.  But what was really strange, the interesting stories seemed to be torn out too.  These clippings ended real abruptly, and I can't find the rest of the story."  That was a laugh for all of us!  Hope you enjoy/Charlotte in Glendale, Arizona.

                        To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
                        From: genehunter@...
                        Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:21:49 +0000
                        Subject: [dundee-history] Cludgie

                        <knowlesdavina@ ...> wrote:
                        > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open
                        > drain or sewer?
                        > Ina

                        Instantly invite friends from Facebook and other social networks to join you on Windows Live™ Messenger. Invite friends now!
                      • anne_ide2003
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 6, 2008
                          Have a memory from twenty-six years ago of my then three year old
                          daughter at the Dundee Rep pantomime, demanding in a piercing
                          voice, "Gran, what's a cludgie?" in response to hearing the word spoken
                          on stage.
                          She doesn't much like being reminded of that one now!
                        • David Perks
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                            The word cludgie is not used in Dundee, but is used in Glasgow and it is a
                            drain in the street. In Dundee this is called a Cundy. The name for the
                            toilet inside or outside is the Lavy. Pronounced Lah vy.
                            Dave

                            From: "parkneuk1940" <genehunter@...>
                            To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:21:49 -0000

                            <knowlesdavina@...> wrote:
                            > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open
                            > drain or sewer?
                            > Ina
                          • chris wright
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                              Sorry, Dave

                              My entire family are from Dundee, and have been for generations - every one of us uses the word 'cludgie'.

                              :oP

                              To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com

                              From: "parkneuk1940" <genehunter@hotmail. co.uk>
                              To: dundee-history@ yahoogroups. com
                              Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:21:49 -0000

                              <knowlesdavina@ ...> wrote:
                              > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open
                              > drain or sewer?
                              > Ina

                              Get 5GB of online storage for free! Get it Now!
                            • Robin Fosdal
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                "Cludgie" or, more often, "Cludge" was certainly in use alongside
                                "Lavy" in Dundee when I grew up there in the 1950s. It may be that the
                                word had fallen out of general use but still existed in children's
                                street language.

                                I must admit that I still use this word, but only to shock my effete
                                neighbours here in south-east England.

                                Robin.

                                --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "David Perks" <banjo046@...> wrote:

                                > The word cludgie is not used in Dundee, but is used in Glasgow and
                                it is a
                                > drain in the street. In Dundee this is called a Cundy. The name for the
                                > toilet inside or outside is the Lavy. Pronounced Lah vy.
                                > Dave
                                >

                                > From: "parkneuk1940" <genehunter@...>
                                > To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: [dundee-history] Cludgie
                                > Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:21:49 -0000
                                >
                                > A cludgie is a toilet, outside in days gone by, with neatly cut
                                > newspaper on a string, if you were lucky.
                                >
                                > Kathleen.
                                >
                                > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "knowlesdavina"
                                > <knowlesdavina@> wrote:
                                > > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open
                                > > drain or sewer?
                                > > Ina

                              • David Perks
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                  I was born and bred in Dundee as were most of my relatives and I have never
                                  heard the word used.
                                  Perhaps you are confusing Dundee with Lochee where I have heard it used.
                                  Dave

                                  From: "parkneuk1940" <genehunter@...>

                                  To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com

                                  Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:21:49 -0000

                                  <knowlesdavina@...> wrote:

                                  > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open

                                  > drain or sewer?

                                  > Ina

                                  Great deals on almost anything at eBay.co.uk. Search, bid, find and win on
                                  eBay today!
                                  http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000004ukm/direct/01/
                                • chris wright
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                    Dave,

                                    I was also born and bred in Dundee (and no, not in Lochee), have used the word 'cludgie' for 'toilet' all my days, and have heard it from my own family and others since I was old enough to remember.

                                    Why is it so difficult to accept you may be wrong on this one?

                                    Chris

                                    To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: chris wright <aye-wright@hotmail. com>
                                    To: <dundee-history@ yahoogroups. com>
                                    Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:05:47 +0000

                                    Sorry, Dave

                                    To: dundee-history@ yahoogroups. com

                                    From: "parkneuk1940" <genehunter@hotmail. co.uk>

                                    To: dundee-history@ yahoogroups. com

                                    Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:21:49 -0000

                                    <knowlesdavina@ ...> wrote:

                                    > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open

                                    > drain or sewer?

                                    > Ina

                                    Great deals on almost anything at eBay.co.uk. Search, bid, find and win on
                                    eBay today!
                                    http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ msnnkmgl00100000 04ukm/direct/ 01/

                                    Get Started!
                                  • Michael Bolik
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                      Well, though being brought up in Dundee I can't comment on "cludgie" v "lavy" - my father was Polish and my mother English.

                                      But I remember using the word "cundie" for a drain - no doubt a result of the "Auld Alliance" between Scotland and France - i.e. "conduit." It is like the expresion "dinna fash", which is French in origin and which means "Don't fret!"

                                      I am not ancient (well, some would say that I am!) but I remember in the 1960s when I was a young boy the rag and bone man would come around with his horse and cart and we'd take stuff to him and get transfers and scraps. I also remember the man coming around to light the gas street lamps outside. This was at my aunt and uncle's flat in Marryat Terrace. With my parents I lived in a tenement in Fintry - then Fingarth Street - now called Grampian Gardens. It's strange how you remember the past - for me everything was wonderful and happy, even though it turned out my parents were anxious to leave Fintry because it was turning into the worst part of Dundee (though soon to be superseded by the newly built Whitfield estate).

                                      Wow - those were the early days of tv, with Z Cars, the first Dr Who series, the Beatles, Crackerjack, Tales from Europe...

                                      It has struck me over this discussion about cludgies etc that there is a lot or history out there in our minds and memories. It is a shame it isn't written down or recorded somewhere. I work in an archive where we save the "memory" of Dundee. I would be happy to receive any memories people have and keep them for the future in our archive.

                                      On a different theme I went to the new Morrison's store on Saturday. They are using three photographs from the University archives, which I remember giving to the media company looking for images of Dundee for the new store. There are also current images and some from the Central Library. Ours are of the Law, looking very bare, a factory worker at Dens Works in the 1950s, and the first Tay Bridge, looking from Wormit.

                                      Ok. Enough of me - hope I didn't bore you too much. But I mean it about collecting anecdotes, such as the one about the conditions post war veterans faced re housing etc.

                                      Please let me know what you think...

                                      Michael

                                      The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096
                                    • noraweinberger
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                        ... and to add to the banter, I just broke out my newly acquired
                                        "Dundonian for Beginners", by Mick McCluskey. Under the heading: Wurdz
                                        and Meeninz, the translation for outhouse and/or toilet is 'Cluhjee'.
                                        This is no doubt the phonetic spelling for us Yankees who would
                                        otherwise butcher the dialect. I don't know where Charlotte Schulz is
                                        today, but no doubt she'll chime-in at some point with a vote for
                                        cludgie, as I've heard her use the word.

                                        I suppose if you were to use any of the suggested terminology when
                                        asking for the location of the "rest room", someone would gladly point
                                        the way... and isn't that really what's important here? Amen! ;-)

                                        Cheers,

                                        Nora
                                      • Charlotte Juarez
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                          This is Charlotte from Phoenix -- although my granny used the newspaper, we never did use the term "cludgie" when I was growing up -- it was always the "lavvie" in my granny's house.  First time I ever heard the word was in one of my first years at the Harris (around 1961) and it was just the "cludge."/Charlotte

                                          To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: nora@...
                                          Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:37:00 +0000

                                          ... and to add to the banter, I just broke out my newly acquired
                                          "Dundonian for Beginners", by Mick McCluskey. Under the heading: Wurdz
                                          and Meeninz, the translation for outhouse and/or toilet is 'Cluhjee'.
                                          This is no doubt the phonetic spelling for us Yankees who would
                                          otherwise butcher the dialect. I don't know where Charlotte Schulz is
                                          today, but no doubt she'll chime-in at some point with a vote for
                                          cludgie, as I've heard her use the word.

                                          I suppose if you were to use any of the suggested terminology when
                                          asking for the location of the "rest room", someone would gladly point
                                          the way... and isn't that really what's important here? Amen! ;-)

                                          Cheers,

                                          Nora

                                          Now you can invite friends from Facebook and other groups to join you on Windows Live™ Messenger. Add them now!
                                        • Charlotte Juarez
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                            Michael and all, this is Charlotte from Phoenix, originally from the top of the hill. I have a tone of family clippings and stories that I've written for my so sadly "Americanized" children so they know they're "from Dundee and proud of it."  These little stories are about growing up from about the time I was born (1947) until I left Dundee in 1965 when I married a lad from Edzell.  My granny's granny used to own the fish shop and the china shop at the top of the hill and owned a little white horse that was well known.  Lots of memories and pictures of going to Hill Street School and then Butterburn and spending my childhood days hanging out at the Palace (where my granny worked in the box office) with the chorus girls, the cleaning ladies, and the comedians.  If you'd like to know more about these, please feel free to email me at jeatsax1@...
                                            best, Charl

                                            To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 9, 2008
                                              Now here I am after reading these enlightening emails trying to recall all the names I've heard that place of great relief called -- how about the "bog"?  In the trains (remember the joy of riding in one with a corridor) that had a W.C. -- (my Granny told me stories all my life and when I first saw this I knew my letters and how to spell, and wondered what Winston Churchill had to do with it).  And can "cludge" be any worse that here in America where grown and men and women talk about "little girls/boys room" - makes you wonder what they do in there. Best to all/Charlotte

                                              To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com

                                              From: "parkneuk1940" <genehunter@hotmail. co.uk>
                                              To: dundee-history@ yahoogroups. com
                                              Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:21:49 -0000

                                              <knowlesdavina@ ...> wrote:
                                              > . Anybody know what a cludgie is? I get a mental picture of an open
                                              > drain or sewer?
                                              > Ina

                                              Now you can invite friends from Facebook and other groups to join you on Windows Live™ Messenger. Add them now!
                                            • Lair Behr
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                                                OK, so how did the term "cludgie" derive?
                                              • Peter Marshall
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008

                                                  --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, Lair Behr <danifax@...> wrote:>

                                                  > OK, so how did the term "cludgie" derive?

                                                  Having started this strand, I guess I had better finish it.

                                                   DSL - SNDS      CLUDGIE , n. A slang term for a water-closet (Fif., Edb., wm.Sc. 1975).
                                                       [Deformation of closet, poss. conflated with lodge.]         given in       The Dictionary of the Scots Language [DSL] and Scottish National Dictionary Supplement [SNDS] which were recently electronically linked through Dundee University and can be found at
                                                  http://www.dsl.ac.uk/

                                                  This indicates Fife, Edinburgh and West Central Scotland sources.  However, it is not surprising that Dundee is not mentioned for the following reason.   Frustratingly, it was only in the 2005 supplement that the DSL organisers started to note Dundee as an independent geographical location!   As they put it :"have added Dundee to the list of geographical labels, in view of the distinctive character of the Scots of that city"  - better late than never, I suppose.     Even so, I think that calling it slang is probably a bit rich, since it was obviously mainstream language for some.

                                                  My source was my father-in-law, who was sibling to the unfortunate child whom he was told had 'drowned in the cludgie' where he was born in Dallfield Walk.  He spent his youth in Westhall Place in Craigie, then his married life in Menzieshill.

                                                  Peter

                                                • Robin Fosdal
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 11, 2008
                                                    I remember, at school, offering the word "cludge" as an example of
                                                    onomatopoeia. Needless to say, I got the strap.

                                                    --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Marshall"
                                                    <tis_peter@...> wrote:

                                                    > --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
                                                    > <mailto:dundee-history@yahoogroups.com> , Lair Behr <danifax@>
                                                    > wrote:>
                                                    > > OK, so how did the term "cludgie" derive?
                                                    > >
                                                    > Having started this strand, I guess I had better finish it.
                                                    >

                                                    > DSL - SNDS CLUDGIE, n. A slang term for a water-closet (Fif.,
                                                    Edb.,
                                                    > wm.Sc. 1975).
                                                    > [Deformation of closet, poss. conflated with lodge.]
                                                    given in
                                                    > The Dictionary of the Scots Language [DSL] and Scottish National
                                                    > Dictionary Supplement [SNDS] which were recently electronically linked
                                                    > through Dundee University and can be found at
                                                    > http://www.dsl.ac.uk/ <http://www.dsl.ac.uk/>
                                                    >

                                                    > This indicates Fife, Edinburgh and West Central Scotland sources.
                                                    > However, it is not surprising that Dundee is not mentioned for the
                                                    > following reason. Frustratingly, it was only in the 2005 supplement
                                                    > that the DSL organisers started to note Dundee as an independent
                                                    > geographical location! As they put it :"have added Dundee to the list
                                                    > of geographical labels, in view of the distinctive character of the
                                                    > Scots of that city" - better late than never, I suppose. Even so, I
                                                    > think that calling it slang is probably a bit rich, since it was
                                                    > obviously mainstream language for some.
                                                    >
                                                    > My source was my father-in-law, who was sibling to the unfortunate child
                                                    > whom he was told had 'drowned in the cludgie' where he was born in
                                                    > Dallfield Walk. He spent his youth in Westhall Place in Craigie, then
                                                    > his married life in Menzieshill.
                                                    >
                                                    > Peter

                                                  • Michael Bolik
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 15, 2011
                                                      Hi

                                                      Group members might be interested in our new blog entry about G L Wilson's store "The Corner":

                                                      http://www.archives-records-artefacts.com/

                                                      At the bottom of the article is a link to some pages from G L Wilson Christmas catalogues. Just in case you miss it, here is the link:

                                                      http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/glwilsonchristmascatalogues.htm

                                                      One catalogue page is devoted to toy guns, soldiers etc - "Let your children fight their country's battles over again" and rather ominously it was from December 1914. We were wondering if any of the children found themselves, four years later, stuck in the middle of a real battle...

                                                      Michael

                                                      Michael Bolik
                                                      Senior Assistant Archivist
                                                      Archive Services
                                                      University of Dundee
                                                      Dundee DD1 4HN
                                                      United Kingdom
                                                      tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
                                                      fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
                                                      http://www.dundee.ac.uk/archives

                                                      Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this email?

                                                      The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096
                                                    • Anne Ide
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 23, 2011
                                                        My late aunt had a friend who worked in the gents' department of GL Wilson's.

                                                        One market day, an elderly farmer came into the shop, looked at her doubtfully, then said gruffly,

                                                        "See's a sicht o' yer drahers, lassie"

                                                        It took a panic-stricken moment for the aforesaid assistant to realise she was being asked, not to display her lingerie, but to produce examples from the store's stock of long gents' underpants!

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 23, 2011
                                                          That must have been on Tuesday

                                                          To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com