Re:Strathmore house

  • Ruth Blackie
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2008
      Thank you very much!
      I would love a photo if that is easily done.
      With much appreciation,
      Ruth

      http://www.flickr.com/gift/
    • Dermot Parsons
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2008
        Yes, Peter is right about the internal layout of Strathmore House. On the
        ground floor were various offices, the kitchen, and staff facilities. On
        each of the other floors there were three "wings" of residents' rooms. Each
        wing had a few bedrooms, and a small sitting/dining area. There was a
        larger lounge area on each floor that was used for group activities, and
        also a central staff office.

        It is a long time ago. I remember, at the time I was first there, breakfast
        used to be brought up in an unheated trolley. Tea, with milk in it already,
        was in a vast aluminium pot. The (rapidly cooling) "hot" element of
        breakfast (porridge, scrambled eggs etc.) arrived in uninsulated containers.
        There was a very institutional flavour to the service. A newly appointed
        manager, who I remember well and respect greatly, challenged and changed
        many such antiquated practices.

        Dermot

      • Dermot Parsons
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2008
          On further thought, sorry - there were only two living units on each floor!

          Dermot