Ogilvie jam pot

  • okeeffe1977
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2008
      Hi there,
      We found an old jam pot under our floor boards with the name "Ogilvie
      and Co's Dundee" Apple and Strawberry Jam. I was wondering if anybody
      knows more about the jam factories in Dundee (other than Keiller)?
      Thanks!
    • tis_peter
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2008
        So far, all I can tell you is that my father-in-law recalls that
        during
        the 1950s Ogilvie's Jams were sold through the 'Scowsie' shops i.e.
        the
        Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society (SCWS) - now part of the Co-
        op.
        He was brought up in the Craigie area of town. My mother-in-law was
        raised in Lochee and has no memory of the Ogilvie company.
        I guess that it will take someone with access to old Dundee trade
        directories to find out more.

        If it is possible to get from you a picture or two of the jar and its
        labels, I would be delighted.
        Thanks
        Peter Marshall
        tis_peter@...

        > Hi there,
        > We found an old jam pot under our floor boards with the
        name "Ogilvie
        > and Co's Dundee" Apple and Strawberry Jam. I was wondering if
        anybody
        > knows more about the jam factories in Dundee (other than Keiller)?
        > Thanks!

      • tis_peter
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2008
          By looking in the Dundee sections of the Scotland / Ireland Telephone
          Directories for 1928 to 1936, I came across the following entry in each:
          Ogilvie & Co, Preserves, 19 Park wynd .......Dundee 4863

          Park Wynd is a street off of the old Hawkhill, now part of the Dundee
          University precinct.

          Peter Marshall .......... tis_peter[at]blueyonder.co.uk

          --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "tis_peter" <tis_peter@...>