Re: [dundee-history] Stables in Dundee

  • Dave Perks
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2008
      Hi Peter, That was probably Wordies horses and stables. They were situated on Dock Street at the junction of market Street There was also many other stables and horses in the area. Another stable was for the Dundee Cleansing dept. This was Dock Street and Allan Street.
      Cheers Dave Perks

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
          My 3xgreat grandfather, Samuel Wilkie was a carter in dundee in the middle 1800's. On his death certificate his address was given as 118 murraygate dundee. I know there was stables there[accord to old dundee books] so i persume that's where they lived as well. Any chance you can tell me what the web site is?
          sandra

          tis_peter <tis_peter@...> wrote:
          I stumbled across a website which mentioned '2 and 3-storey city
          stables in Dundee, near to the docks' for working shire-horses in about
          1900.
          I have not heard mention of them before.
          Does anyone know where any of these might have been located?
          Peter.
          P.S. The website was for Parkside Veterinary Group at
          http://www.any-uk-vet.co.uk/parkside/index.htm
          viewed 26 Jan 2008

          BYE
          SANDI

        • Malcolm Davidson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008

            On Jan 26, 2008 2:07 PM, sandra smith <sandrasmith1958@...> wrote:
            > My 3xgreat grandfather, Samuel Wilkie was a carter in dundee in the middle
            > 1800's. On his death certificate his address was given as 118 murraygate
            > dundee. I know there was stables there[accord to old dundee books] so i
            > persume that's where they lived as well. Any chance you can tell me what the
            > web site is?
            > sandra
            >
            > tis_peter <tis_peter@...> wrote:
            > I stumbled across a website which mentioned '2 and 3-storey city
            > stables in Dundee, near to the docks' for working shire-horses in about
            > 1900.
          • Brian, Doon the Toon
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
              On 26 Jan 2008, at 16:45, dundee-history@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > I stumbled across a website which mentioned '2 and 3-storey city
              > stables in Dundee, near to the docks' for working shire-horses in
              > about
              > 1900.
              > I have not heard mention of them before.
              > Does anyone know where any of these might have been located?
              > Peter.

              Hi Peter.

              During the 1950s, my maternal grandfather worked in stables just off
              Dock Street. My Mum used to take me down to visit him and clap the
              horses, which, I think, were Clydesdales, used for pulling carts. This
              method of carriage faded out in the 60s. The last working horse in
              Dundee was called "Paddy".
              I believe my grandad entered competitions where horses were dressed up
              as there are some photos somewhere in the family collection.
              From memory, the stables at which my granddad worked were in a small
              lane which was a cul-de-sac, so I had a look at the 1912 street plan at
              the National Library of Scotland web site.

              http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/scotland.cfm?id=1208

              Click on the map to open it up in a separate window where you can move
              about and zoom in and out.

              Links for all the available Dundee street plans are on the page at:-

              http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/towns.html#dundee

              It would appear that the the lane from my memory is an anonymous lane
              running north between Gellatly Street and Candle Lane. I'm sure I had a
              look into that lane a couple of years ago and remnants of stable use
              were still visible.

              I had a look at the maps back to 1821. The lane looks like a sparse
              line of cottages or whatever in 1821 but is recognisable as a lane from
              the 1846 map onwards, but with no name.

              Doon 8=)
            • sandra smith
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 26, 2008
                Ok thanks guys. Will look it up. Samuel Wilkie was the brother or uncle { or something] to the guy who started Wilkie's Butcher's in the old overgate.
                sandra

                "Brian, Doon the Toon" <brian.doonthetoon@...> wrote:

                On 26 Jan 2008, at 16:45, dundee-history@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > I stumbled across a website which mentioned '2 and 3-storey city
                > stables in Dundee, near to the docks' for working shire-horses in
                > about
                > 1900.
                > I have not heard mention of them before.
                > Does anyone know where any of these might have been located?
                > Peter.

                Hi Peter.

                During the 1950s, my maternal grandfather worked in stables just off
                Dock Street. My Mum used to take me down to visit him and clap the
                horses, which, I think, were Clydesdales, used for pulling carts. This
                method of carriage faded out in the 60s. The last working horse in
                Dundee was called "Paddy".
                I believe my grandad entered competitions where horses were dressed up
                as there are some photos somewhere in the family collection.
                From memory, the stables at which my granddad worked were in a small

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 27, 2008
                  > Its worth thinking about what eventually happened to horses stabled
                  > in Dundee early in the 20th century. My great-grandfather's horse
                  > (used to pull his milk cart) was requisitioned in 1914. I'm sure
                  > his was not the only one......
                  >
                  > Helen Boreland-Vinas
                  > (Brussels)
                  > On 26 Jan 2008, at 16:45, dundee-history@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                  >
                  > > I stumbled across a website which mentioned '2 and 3-storey city
                  > > stables in Dundee, near to the docks' for working shire-horses in
                  > > about
                  > > 1900.

                • Charlotte Juarez
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 29, 2008
                    I lived at 7 Hill Street from birth until we were moved to St Mary's around 1963 or so. I vividly remember the Clydesdales that were kept in the pend across the street from our house next to Hill Street School. Used to watch them plodding home with their carter from my bedroom window and what a thrill it was when the carter let me come over and in my small child way comb them a wee bit. Also remember the Clydesdale's holding up traffic in Victoria Road as they backed into the mills. This excuse, I told my children, was the Scottish equivelant when I was late for the Harris of "the dog ate my homework." Glad to say my children and grandchildren all have an affinity for the Budweiser Clydesdales because of Dundee stories and not their trademark beer! /Charlotte Alvoet in Phoenix, Arizona

                    To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.comFrom: brian.doonthetoon@...: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 21:54:50 +0000Subject: [dundee-history] Re: Stables in Dundee

                    On 26 Jan 2008, at 16:45, dundee-history@yahoogroups.com wrote:> I stumbled across a website which mentioned '2 and 3-storey city> stables in Dundee, near to the docks' for working shire-horses in > about> 1900.> I have not heard mention of them before.> Does anyone know where any of these might have been located?> Peter.Hi Peter.During the 1950s, my maternal grandfather worked in stables just off Dock Street. My Mum used to take me down to visit him and clap the horses, which, I think, were Clydesdales, used for pulling carts. This method of carriage faded out in the 60s. The last working horse in Dundee was called "Paddy".I believe my grandad entered competitions where horses were dressed up as there are some photos somewhere in the family collection.From memory, the stables at which my granddad worked were in a small lane which was a cul-de-sac, so I had a look at the 1912 street plan at the National Library of Scotland web site.http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/scotland.cfm?id=1208Click on the map to open it up in a separate window where you can move about and zoom in and out.Links for all the available Dundee street plans are on the page at:-http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/towns.html#dundeeIt would appear that the the lane from my memory is an anonymous lane running north between Gellatly Street and Candle Lane. I'm sure I had a look into that lane a couple of years ago and remnants of stable use were still visible.I had a look at the maps back to 1821. The lane looks like a sparse line of cottages or whatever in 1821 but is recognisable as a lane from the 1846 map onwards, but with no name.Doon 8=)